Corner tank drilling location

Reef converter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm taking the big step and converting my current freshwater corner tank to saltwater and have bit of a dilemma with drilling locations. The tank is a juwel trigon 190 (pictured). Its 190 litres or about 50 US gallons and i have a couple of thoughts of where to drill for sump lines and would really like some opinions or advice regarding these.
The tank is made from 8mm float glass and I have been told by juwel its safe to drill.
My two options im thinking are losing floor space and drilling in dark square in picture and having a bean animal style set up, however I don't know how close to the corner I can safely drill and it may take up a lot of space in tank.
The other option is to have 2 in tank overflows, 1 on each side and have both siphons for the bean animal on 1 side and the emergency drain on the other, which would allow maximum floor space for aquascape. For the emergency drain side I will drill holes through weir so it would not impede flow and any stagnant water when not in use (hopefully never needed). Do any of these ideas seem feasible and is there one that would be preferable over the other.
My drain pipes are 3/4" by the way. Thank you all in advance for your advice as it will be greatly received. #reefsquad
Stuart
Trigon_190_dimensions.jpg

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how close to the corner I can safely drill and it may take up a lot of space in tank.

At least one hole diameter away from the edge of the glass. In other words, if you are drilling a 1.5" hole, then the EDGE of the whole needs to be at least 1.5 inches from the corner and 1.5 inches from the top of the tank. FYI, a 3/4" bulkhead doesn't mean a 3/4" hole, but probably more like 1.5".

The other option is to have 2 in tank overflows, 1 on each side and have both siphons for the bean animal on 1 side and the emergency drain on the other, which would allow maximum floor space for aquascape. For the emergency drain side I will drill holes through weir so it would not impede flow and any stagnant water when not in use (hopefully never needed).

Don't do it that way. Just use one overflow with a siphon and emergency/trickle, like a Herbie, if you can't fit 3 pipes.

Do you know what overflow you are using?

OP
OP
Reef converter

Reef converter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response, I understand the need for a larger hole for bulkhead. Am I right to assume also then that any new hole should be a hole width apart from the last also? So if I put them in the back corner the total distance between the 2 sides should be a minimum of 7.5" to allow for both holes with a holes width between each side and a holes width between each hole. Sounds confusing so I hope you get what I mean. (Space-hole-space-hole-space).

OP
OP
Reef converter

Reef converter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or on another tangent could I use an irregular shaped weir and place pipes at 45° from corner like this
16052794010157994211398224585924.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I right to assume also then that any new hole should be a hole width apart from the last also?

Yes

Or on another tangent could I use an irregular shaped weir and place pipes at 45° from corner like this
16052794010157994211398224585924.jpg

Oh, you're drilling the bottom? Yes that sketch should work. You better make darn sure that you can drill the bottom panel. You said the company said that it was safe, but I would test it with polarized sunglasses to be absolutely sure that it's not tempered on the bottom.

Have you thought about just using something like this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eclipse-s-overflow-box-600-gph-eshopps.html ?

That way you drill the side, and only once.

OP
OP
Reef converter

Reef converter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juwel said they use float glass for every panel as, from what I have read, it is superior in strength to plate glass so, if that is correct, drilling the side is the same as the bottom.
I did think about an external overflow like that and dismissed it (don't know why). Might have to reconsider as 1 hole is much better than 3. Thank you for your help, this is my first post and really do appreciate it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. Good luck with what you decide. Let us know if you come up with any other questions. You'll have to, of course, come up with how to do the return. Some people drill another hole or two for returns, and some of us just go over the back of the tank with PVC.

OP
OP
Reef converter

Reef converter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking I would do the drain and then decide on the return depending on how easy the glass is to drill. Probably will just end up going over top to be honest as am currently building a stand and canopy as the stand was a package deal and doesn't seem as safe as it once was (horrible particle board). Want this tank to be up a while so making everything strong enough to last as well. Gonna take a while to get up and running as doing diy live rock and custom stand with canopy. Starting pictures for my first build journal but as with everything in this hobby, patience is key. Pic of stand so far (ignore rock forms in sump tank, a different project, lol)
20201031_152916.jpg

OP
OP
Reef converter

Reef converter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm hoping to make a wrap around cupboard on each side to store chemicals etc. as the main part should be plenty strong enough to support the tank. Once I get the stand finished then its on with the canopy. Thinking maybe 10" high to allow for alterations in lighting height if needed. Good to get some feedback from fellow hobbyists as the wife is, in her words "getting pig sick of hearing about it" lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back