Could dry ORP probe still be working?

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used APEX classic that had an unused ORP probe where the storage liquid was gone. It looks like it has been stored "new" for a long time and it just leaked out or evaporated.
I know that ORP probes should be stored wet but I am still giving it a shot since it was part of the bundle I got.
It's been plugged in for about 2 days and it has slowly made its way from 152 to 178 and I'll wait a bit longer to see if it keeps climbing to a "normal" range.

Is there any way that this probe may still be working or am I just wasting my time and even if I see some numbers fluctuate, they won't mean a thing?
If it's possible that it's still working and will only show fluctuation reliably but outside of the normal range, I think I can live with that. Is it possible?

As a side note, it seems to be fluctuating in opposite direction of water temperature, is that expected?

1623698137114.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it needs to be replaced if you want some sort of reliable ORP reading

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back