Could phytoplankton replace a refugium?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title says could a phytoplankton culture replace a refugium?

phytoplankton seems to be around in the hobby for years now but for some reason not fully understood at hobby level

phytoplankton seems to consume nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon dioxide all this are a beneficial for reef aquaria.

phytoplankton and microbes

Phytoplankton and zooplankton

What’s your thought could with some work see changes in the hobby?

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose alot of phyto and to be honest I don't think it does much in helping me keep my nutrients low. My cheato on the other hand grows and does a great job at reducing my nitrates/phosphates
Edit:I dose phyto for my sea apple/ cucumbers and Christmas tree worms

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose alot of phyto and to be honest I don't think it does much in helping me keep my untrue ts low. My cheato on the other hand grows and does a great job at reducing my nitrates/phosphates
Edit:I dose phyto for my sea apple/ cucumbers and Christmas tree worms
Could I ask you what fertiliser you using? Also do you know the po4 in your phytoplankton culture? I believe most of us haven’t seen any impact on nutrients because most fertilisers are to high in po4.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As title says could a phytoplankton culture replace a refugium?

phytoplankton seems to be around in the hobby for years now but for some reason not fully understood at hobby level

phytoplankton seems to consume nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon dioxide all this are a beneficial for reef aquaria.

phytoplankton and microbes

Phytoplankton and zooplankton

What’s your thought could with some work see changes in the hobby?

The key to a refugium or scrubber, is being able to completely remove the algae once it has absorbed nitrate and phosphate.

How would you remove the phytoplankton once it has absorbed these nutrients?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I currently have as in a brand name but I usually buy a f/2 compound for phyto. My culture is so dark I can't test it properly.
The best way to test it is to fill a small reservoir with some of your culture and let it settle, then just use the clear water at the top for testing

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to a refugium or scrubber, is being able to completely remove the algae once it has absorbed nitrate and phosphate.

How would you remove the phytoplankton once it has absorbed these nutrients?
In the sea phytoplankton is removed from an ecosystem by feeding zooplankton and microbes, the same could be happening in home aquaria. There is no need to harvest. It would also take less space to cultivate phytoplankton in a sump.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do that today and post my results
If you could I’d like to compare it with my fertiliser, there’s 0 po4 in this culture but on my previous one using miracle grow was 3plus po4.
The sample was taken from the bottle next to the test kit, I’ve let it settle before i removed water for the test, just shake again for pic.

350F4F84-8CDA-4A30-9680-A11BC4A590E0.jpeg

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it took 2 days for my culture to settle, not sure if this creates a unreliable test as it had to sit so long. I got a reading of 1.75 ppm for phosphates!

Last edited:

Afterburner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could I’d like to compare it with my fertiliser, there’s 0 po4 in this culture but on my previous one using miracle grow was 3plus po4.
The sample was taken from the bottle next to the test kit, I’ve let it settle before i removed water for the test, just shake again for pic.

350F4F84-8CDA-4A30-9680-A11BC4A590E0.jpeg
Sixty, what fertilizer did you use where you had the 0 po4 results?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Dana Riddle had a thread about using phyto to control PO4 and NO3. Seems mostly anecdotal at this point. I’ve added live phyto many times. I honestly can say I’ve seen no difference. No change in nutrients. I’m sure I fed a lot of things in my tank but I believe a refugium would reign king.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the sea phytoplankton is removed from an ecosystem by feeding zooplankton and microbes, the same could be happening in home aquaria. There is no need to harvest. It would also take less space to cultivate phytoplankton in a sump.
For phyto to replace a scrubber or fuge as an inorganic nutrient filter the photo would have to be discarded rather than fed to the system.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For phyto to replace a scrubber or fuge as an inorganic nutrient filter the photo would have to be discarded rather than fed to the system.
I thought this too but what if corals, filter feeders and zooplankton ate the phyto? I have no idea. But just a thought.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the nutrients that the phyto have assimilated are released back into the system .
I’ve always wondered this. One thing I’ve always wondered is, why does macro consume PO4 and NO3 as energy but if it dies, it goes back into the system? If it uses those nutrients, why aren’t they completely dissolved? I’m no scientist. Just a simple man.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered this. One thing I’ve always wondered is, why does macro consume PO4 and NO3 as energy but if it dies, it goes back into the system? If it uses those nutrients, why aren’t they completely dissolved? I’m no scientist. Just a simple man.
Once the nutrients are assimilated they exist in the tissue of the organism, possibly in an organic form ? I'm not sure.
If the macro dies it breaks down & releases the nutrients.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the nutrients are assimilated they exist in the tissue of the organism, possibly in an organic form ? I'm not sure.
If the macro dies it breaks down & releases the nutrients.
So the algae actually consumes but doesn’t use the nutrients? Seems counter to their purpose.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the algae actually consumes but doesn’t use the nutrients? Seems counter to their purpose.
Yes they are utilised & needed. But the nutrients cannot be destroyed. They can change form, like from inorganic to organic, but they cannot be destroyed & just disappear forever. :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back