Could this be gill flukes or something else?

TheStripedHermit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have left my DT fallow of fish for over a year now and I currently have a blue green chromis in my QT for about 2 weeks but ever since I added a scoop full of DT water to the QT to make sure theres nothing in it, my chromis progressively started showing trouble to eat food when I did this a few days ago.

At first he would spit out some food but now he hardly swallows anything, he just it spits it back out again and this is only brine shrimp! And I know he's hungry because he darts straight for the pipet and goes after the food that comes out.

And this seriously mimics what happened to my other fish that caught gill flukes having eaten less and less food before starting to scratch all over the rocks and I'm honestly really stressed right now because this shouldn't be happening so does anyone know what I can do? Or if this is even gill flukes? I really don't want to start all over.

Jezzess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long was the fish in QT before you added display tank water, it could be that he had flukes when you bought him. try a freshwater dip and see if any flukes come off just be sure to buffer the RO water with baking soda to bring the PH up a bit. make sure you also keep the fish in motion while its in the dip. i just chase mine around with the handle of my net, this will make sure that the flukes are coming off him instead of staying trapped in his gills. let us know how you go and good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back