Could this be velvet?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!! I bet it feels amazing to put that much work and effort into saving a life and have it work out for you! You did an amazing job!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great thread. Hope he makes it all the way. This gives me hope as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to @Humblefish and @melypr1985. For all the suggestions and support. Doubt he would have made it without the FW dips

So happy for you. :) Hopefully he has turned the corner. I am a big proponent of FW dips for the following reasons:
  • It's FREE and readily available. Many times I know the chemicals people I help need either a) Are unlikely to be found at their LFS b) The fish will be dead before they can arrive if ordered online. A FW dip is available for use 24/7/365 and will often buy you more time until a proper treatment can be done.
  • Parasites on the skin, most fish can weather that storm. Parasites (especially velvet) inside the gills will often lead to asphyxiation due to excess fluid build up around the insertion points. A FW dip can dislodge at least some of those parasites, giving the fish the chance to breathe.
  • A fish that dies during a FW dip wasn't meant long for this world anyway. I know if I were the fish I'd rather go down swinging, with a fighting chance to live, than just slowly waste away & die.

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought is post an update so the fish is still swimming not eating much still but swimming. Bigger concern right now is there is what I can best describe as a while build up on the ends of his fin and his upper lip looks like he swam into something headlong. I'm wondering if this might be the start of a bacterial infection on his fins. Not any loss of fin tissue just a build up of what looks like mucus. Attached the best pics I could get hard to get em with their fins still [emoji6]

Thinking I might start treating with furan-2 tonight or tomorrow. Any thoughts if this just looks like something benign from the original injuries.

a48b628a55949f92171d758b4b2daf68.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be Lymphocystis, but I would probably treat with antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Fish with preexisting parasitic infestations are very susceptible to secondary bacterial infections. Back when I practiced ich management I probably lost more fish to infections than to ich itself. :(

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be Lymphocystis, but I would probably treat with antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Fish with preexisting parasitic infestations are very susceptible to secondary bacterial infections. Back when I practiced ich management I probably lost more fish to infections than to ich itself. :(

That's what I thought to but does not have the same look, this is more fluffy looking not granular like I've seen before. He's also tore his upper lip up pretty good so I just started the furan-2 even if just as a precaution. Slightly better picture attached

8ca550f5d15b6868e4a1d24b7b983eb8.jpg

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a happy day in a small victory no one has died and the butterfly has completed day 13 in TTM and just got transferred to the 40B [emoji1]

Everyone else has been I through at least 10 days of copper at therapeutic levels of 0.5 mg/L. PBT is still alive, but still struggling with keeping himself swimming well, eats a little but not a lot. I will hold judgement until he has moved into a tank without copper and has completed his last dose of antibiotics.

3c449d2065d1ae89a6f3aea8ce435fd2.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad for the continued good news! I agree with treating with the furan 2 just in case. Though it could just be Lymph.... I'll hope it is anyway as it's no real concern.

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterfly now has some friends. Now to bleach the S&@# out of the 10 gallon and all contents less the fish [emoji12]. Die crypto die!

b5dfc484c0973659b9937e789a6f3ee3.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably answered this already, but is the CBB eating?

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably answered this already, but is the CBB eating?

Yes he is chowing on live black worms, which is his favorite food, a little on frozen but he's never been a big frozen eater was starting to in the big tank then ich hit. He didn't eat much in TTM, not sure if it was the transfer, smaller space, ich, or all of the above. But he's back to his usual in the 40 gallon. [emoji3]

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other good news the PBT was eating more yesterday, he still seems weak but at least he ate most of his nori, and quite a few bits of brine and mysis. Gonna do a 50% water change in that tank today to get the lovely yellow color the furan gives down now that the antibiotics are finished. If he keeps doing this well I hope to move him to the 40 soon, but really don't want to have to section that tank off just to give everyone swimming room and he would have as much swim room in the 20L.

OP
OP
omykiss001

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news the PBT died last night. Not sure of cause. After everything I was hoping he'd pull through, but he never really seemed right after the CPR. Wonder if there was extensive damage to the gill tissue as I had to keep full air with a bubble stone, power head pointed to the surface, and had the temp dropped to 74. The smallest exertions had him breathing hard. He also seemed to have issues with swimming into walls and keeping himself off the bottom. Fish just never seemed right after the initial infestation with parasite, my guess is tangs are more sensitive and suffer more complications from heavy infection or at least my 2 tangs did and they were some of the last to get into treatment.

On a better note everyone is eating and doing well in the 40b and no one is in active treatment for disease

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back