Couldn't I just pee in my tank?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yes you can pee outside to mark your territory keeping smaller critters away but somtimes drawing in bigger critter like bears as they see it as a treat to there area
Our friends were having issues with deer eating the roses. They sprayed coyote urine as a deterrent. Problem was it attracted a coyote that ate the dog.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly pee in your tank if you want to!!
It’s your tank!! Lol! I’d probably opt for some Ammonium Chloride though. Keep this in mind if you decide to pee in your tank.
Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria. Only when it is older than 24 hours, the urea turns into ammonia, which is what causes the distinctive smell. Antibiotics, vitamin supplements, and other medications will end up in your urine, but in such minute quantities as to be negligible, especially when diluted with water.
A66F0BCA-83CC-4C78-9121-0CDC25640A16.jpeg
BRS will likely do a video on how you need to buy their pee vs using your own.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly pee in your tank if you want to!!
It’s your tank!! Lol! I’d probably opt for some Ammonium Chloride though. Keep this in mind if you decide to pee in your tank.
Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria. Only when it is older than 24 hours, the urea turns into ammonia, which is what causes the distinctive smell. Antibiotics, vitamin supplements, and other medications will end up in your urine, but in such minute quantities as to be negligible, especially when diluted with water.
A66F0BCA-83CC-4C78-9121-0CDC25640A16.jpeg

Is that the new trace element solution?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A member on this site just posted here this week or last week. He found out / caught his nephews peeing in his sump ;Wideyed
read that...don't do it ;)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Edit: Saw someone linked the post above already
9B06E936-1F70-4C88-A396-A0276442FE80.png
8E9B1AE0-B8D3-464A-8116-DC0EC6217A2E.png
It’s this thread lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would a scientist do?
Maybe just cycling an old rock collection in a barrel in the garage, actually for months. Get drinking heavy for 3 or 12 days? The memory is kind of fuzzy about this story. The barrel had been growing chaeto under a light to remove phosphates for more that a year and the whole system was fairly clean and very stable. After reading the previously mentioned wee little thread, my little nephew emptied into the bucket as the beginning of a highly unscientific enquiry into the impacts of beer whiz into a stable, low nutrient system.

Within a week the stable system was blown up with (what looked like dino's) but no one wanted to dip a slide into the bucket to slap under a scope, so we only know it looked like a dino outbreak for a couple of weeks. Then the hair algae over took parts of the chaeto, followed by slime algae and all that interaction caused a population explosion of tiny starfish that had hitchhiked on the chaeto, and those were mostly replaced by tiny limpets and the hair algae slowly dies and the chaeto never really recovered.

Now the bucket doesn't look pristine as it once did, and it needs to be drained to restart the water quality minus human metabolites before the rock goes anywhere near a reef tank.

Number one observation in a limited reef bucket turned symple pristine system into a toilet. Unpublished data, pers com.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a super serious question but a thought, and wondering if anyone's tried something like this at all.

If not one answers I won't be offended haha.

At least it's funny/interesting to me.

In first setting up and cycling a tank, could you technically use Urine to start the cycle, or do you think other trace toxins in your urine might ruin it? I've maybe read long time ago or heard about "my friend did", but has anyone personally done it?

What if you drank 2 gallons a day for 2 days before doing this? anyway. Just a thought.
Some old school aquarists swear by this to cycle a new tank. No reason I know of why it wouldn't work.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish eliminate excess nitrogen by diffusing ammonia out via their gills.

Humans, being mammals, excrete excess nitrogen as urea via their urine.

An additional step, & enzyme, is required to convert urea to ammonia. Bacteria will appear and do this, whether intentionally added or not.

So, in summary, urine requires an additional step which will be provided by bacteria, regardless.

Last edited:

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I first started my reef in 2015 that one of the videos I watched mentioned pee parties to start a saltwater tank in the 70's.

Over the years I have definitely heard that this was the old school method to starting a tank cycle, so I totally believe this occurred ESPECIALLY in the 70s.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back