Court Jester Goby - Groups?” Or Conspecific aggression?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these little fish, from Biota, doing well in the tank, interesting little fish, good tankmate, and am interested in adding a couple more - but haven’t had any luck finding out whether they have Conspecific aggression.

Most searches I’ve tried on them tend to turn up threads that just spin off into difficulties keeping wild caught ones alive.

So, does anyone know if these fish play nicely together or if they’re a one specimen/tank deal?

/75 gallon, low conflict tank.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these little fish, from Biota, doing well in the tank, interesting little fish, good tankmate, and am interested in adding a couple more - but haven’t had any luck finding out whether they have Conspecific aggression.

Most searches I’ve tried on them tend to turn up threads that just spin off into difficulties keeping wild caught ones alive.

So, does anyone know if these fish play nicely together or if they’re a one specimen/tank deal?

My LFS keeps theirs all in one tank. I've never seen any aggression but of course I'm not there watching all day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless already paired, don’t try this. These fish are naturally found singularly or in pairs - they are only kept in groups at the LFS as they are going to be scared but once settled they do eventually wittle down into pairs.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless already paired, don’t try this. These fish are naturally found singularly or in pairs - they are only kept in groups at the LFS as they are going to be scared but once settled they do eventually wittle down into pairs.
Thank you - this is the information I needed, if not the answer I’d hoped for.

In terms of pairing them, from reading around this morning it seems they can change sex, like Anthias, does this mean I could add a single juvenile and have a decent chance they’d pair? Or would the established fish (about a year old) be hostile to a new addition regardless of sex?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - this is the information I needed, if not the answer I’d hoped for.

In terms of pairing them, from reading around this morning it seems they can change sex, like Anthias, does this mean I could add a single juvenile and have a decent chance they’d pair? Or would the established fish (about a year old) be hostile to a new addition regardless of sex?
They can change but I don’t recommend it. I have 3 clown gobies together but they’re all separate species, I have 2 court jesters yet they were added together and were likely collected together from the wild.
So whilst it can be done, ideally you’d want to do it in a short period of time. With my Clown Gobies, the yellow was added at least 8 months after the black and I added the yellow in as a pair but the black went for one specifically at first and it eventually vanished (whether that one just never did well I’m unsure as it withstood the aggression), I then added the most boisterous - a citron - a week after the yellow was established. Now all 3 live in harmony with some very minor bursts of aggression between them.

If you added a juvenile court jester a year after the current one it could go completely wrong as we know almost nothing about your tank. Another way it could go wrong is through one starving the other out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back