Fish compatibility: Gold Assessor compatible with Ocellaris Clowns, Court Jester Goby, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish, Randall’s Goby?

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a Cuban Basslet as the last fish in our 26-gallon tank but decided this was still too early in our reef journey, and it will be considered for another tank in the future.

As a compromise, we have been looking for a Gold Assessor Basslet and found one on Reef Pro.

I would like to hear any views or concerns about adding this fish to our tank with the following other fishes:

- Two Ocellaris clowns (not aggressive at all, except to each other)
- One Purple Firefish
- One Court Jester Goby
- One Tailspot Blenny
- One Randall's Goby

I am looking forward to your feedback.

IMG_0999.jpeg

Last edited:

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They should all be fine together.

Assessors are very cryptic and prefer hiding in the rockwork even with peaceful tankmates. You may only see it fleetingly, or at feeding. They’ll be more confident in groups.

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should all be fine together.

Assessors are very cryptic and prefer hiding in the rockwork even with peaceful tankmates. You may only see it fleetingly, or at feeding. They’ll be more confident in groups.
Thank you. Looks like a Royal Gramma could be a better choice. It seems like there are different views of how shy they are but I feel the likelihood of them being shy vs. more visible is greater. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work but its pushing it, 6 fish in a 26 gallon is a full tank already. I wouldn't add anything more after the assessor.
Understood. The Court Jester from Biota is still tiny, and the Randall's goby only lives underground with his shrimp and is barely visible. So we only have the clowns, the firefish (who is also shy), and the tailspot blenny, hence the desire to add one last (active) fish. Thanks for your feedback!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. Looks like a Royal Gramma could be a better choice. It seems like there are different views of how shy they are but I feel the likelihood of them being shy vs. more visible is greater. Thanks again.

Royal Grammas are great and definitely overcome their shyness! Similarly, you could also do a Firefish in a 26.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back