Cozumel dive trip

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from my first ever dive vacation. My wife bought us certification courses for Christmas and we completed our open water dives in March at Vortex Springs, FL. This was our first venture in salt water and I was super excited to see some of what is in our tank in it's natural environment.

I have some pictures to share and hope some of you can help me ID some of the fish/coral/sponges/inverts we saw.

I think this is a brain coral but I've never seen one this color.
purplebrain_zps79a250b5.jpg

A couple of nems and a small arrow crab.

anemoneandarrowcrab_zps09d4c544.jpg

I'm sure this is an Atlantic Blue Tang. There were thousands of them but they varied from this color to a very pale blue.

BlueCaribeantang_zpsc869e180.jpg

Is this a coral, sponge, plant?

coralorplant_zps8735e5eb.jpg

Some kind of wrasse?

mysteryfish_zps39f97fe7.jpg

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the brain coral there is a ridged cactus coral (common name) which is Mycetophyllia lamarckiana. Great pics!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks pirate!

Is this one similar or is it a brain.

Braincoral_zps7bd98f4c.jpg

Sea cucumber? Looked to be almost a foot long.

Seacucumber_zpsd0cbc678.jpg

This looks like a cross between a trigger and a filefish. Pretty sure it's not in the aquariam trade as it was big.

ScribbledFilefish_zps05009710.jpg

There were lots of these Queen Angels. I know they are sold for aquariums but I can't imagine what size tank would be ok for them. The bigger ones looked to be pushing a foot and a half long. Very beautiful fish though. They are sponge eating machines.

Queenangel_zpsd923ca3d.jpg

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a platygyra sp. or also know as boulder brain coral. Looks like you had a awesome dive!

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously a juvie angel fish but not sure which of the three species I saw (Queen, French or Gray)

juvieQueen_zpsa7b067aa.jpg

We saw literally thousands of Blue Tangs, Lightening Wrasse, Bicolor Damsels,Lantern and Chalk Bass, Rock Beauty angels and Blue Reef Cromis. Lots of Spanish Hogfish, Cherub Angels , Yellow headed and blue headed wrasse. I did not see a single Royal Grama though my wife did see one.

We had the time of our lives. We saw several octopi (correct plural) on our night dive and watched them change colors literally every few seconds. Was disappointed only in the lack of SPS coral. There was one very common one we saw and then a few birdsnest. Sponges were literally every where and very colorful. I'm sure that's why there were so many very large angels.

This is the most common sponge we saw and it was beautiful.

purplesponge_zps77c020e0.jpg

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics. Love Cozumel have over 80 dives there myself. You need to go back and do the wreck dive It awesome.

datoneazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome pics...get a gopro and make a video next time lol but why camera did ya use ?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back