CP and Barletts Anthias

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a trio of barletts in on Wed.... They seemed to be acclimating fine but all barletts and 1 lyretail dropped dead over the weekend..... Only difference is that I pre-treated the water w\ CP prior to dropping them in... instead of waiting a few days for them to get comfortable......

The 40 breeder was dosed at 80 mgs to maintain the proper ratio.... and Ive been using this QT for 6 months so its fully cycled

Any issues w\ CP and Anthais? or would copper be better for them

Thanks in advance
@Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally ran several batches of anthias thru CP with no issues. However, I have been noticing more "anthias dead" threads where CP was dosed; so I'm starting to wonder. :confused:

It's clear I need to do more research on this matter, so use copper with anthias for the time being.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a qt ready to go but its already at 2.0 copper. Can I throw the new surviving fish into the qt. or should I drain and ramp up slowly over 3 days.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always best to ramp copper up slowly. Every time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a qt ready to go but its already at 2.0 copper. Can I throw the new surviving fish into the qt. or should I drain and ramp up slowly over 3 days.

Would be best to slowly ramp it up. However, LFS I advise drip acclimates new arrivals directly into 2.0 Coppersafe without issue.

On a side note, I talked to another LFS I advise about CP & anthias. He has run tons of various anthias thru CP without any noticeable losses, so I'm pretty confused. :confused:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I talked to another LFS I advise about CP & anthias. He has run tons of various anthias thru CP without any noticeable losses, so I'm pretty confused. :confused:

I've noticed an uptick in anthias we order at the store dying quickly after we receive them. Most of them die with signs on a severe infection that only shows up the day after they come in and they are dead by the end of that day or the next. My efforts to treat them has done nothing. Might be worth mentioning in any case.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed an uptick in anthias we order at the store dying quickly after we receive them. Most of them die with signs on a severe infection that only shows up the day after they come in and they are dead by the end of that day or the next. My efforts to treat them has done nothing. Might be worth mentioning in any case.
We lost 3 anthias within a week. I don't use anything in my quarantine, I just watch, feed and keep them in there for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for reminding me of this, as there does seem to be an "anthias infection" thing going around right now. Symptom is usually red sores. Of course, this could also be Uronema marinum and anthias do seem to be somewhat susceptible to that as well.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all 3 lyretails anthias and 3 barletts

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for reminding me of this, as there does seem to also be an "anthias infection" thing going around right now. Symptoms are usually red sores.

Yes, we've lost quite a few to this. The red sores and sometimes the extreme white patches and ruffed up scales as well that usually denote infection. I was originally contributing this uptick in us losing half of our UV sterilizer on the fish system (it caught fire :eek:), but I'm thinking that it must be more widespread than just our system if others are seeing this as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your UV caught fire!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Oh yeah. I walked in from lunch and this HUGE 4 bulb UV (each bulb is 3 or 4 feet long) was smoking. I was like "uh this is on fire yall" then it really did start up with a flame. Lost two of the bulbs (or well the casing that holds the bulbs was cracked in two of these and the electrical input on the one that caught fire was obviously melted beyond recognition. We got it out pretty easily and quickly, but it's down to 50% capacity now :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. I walked in from lunch and this HUGE 4 bulb UV (each bulb is 3 or 4 feet long) was smoking. I was like "uh this is on fire yall" then it really did start up with a flame. Lost two of the bulbs (or well the casing that holds the bulbs was cracked in two of these and the electrical input on the one that caught fire was obviously melted beyond recognition. We got it out pretty easily and quickly, but it's down to 50% capacity now :(

OMG :eek:

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we've lost quite a few to this. The red sores and sometimes the extreme white patches and ruffed up scales as well that usually denote infection. I was originally contributing this uptick in us losing half of our UV sterilizer on the fish system (it caught fire :eek:), but I'm thinking that it must be more widespread than just our system if others are seeing this as well.

Hey. I had red sores on lyretails and barletts. and the barlet tails seemed fused together. It was really strange.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I had red sores on lyretails and barletts. and the barlet tails seemed fused together. It was really strange.

The tail thing is really strange. Got pictures?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back