Crab's 75 Gallon Reef/Dragon/Snake Tank Car Repair Thread

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read that right! After talking about it for over a year now, Crabs is finally making the upgrade to a 75! I love my 40 breeder, but i'm constrained by space and the fish I can stock. I really enjoy the depth that a 40 breeder has, and a 75 is a foot longer and a bit taller.
Let me preface this buy informing right out the gate that this is going to be an extremely slow build. I'm technically not allowed to set up this new tank until we move into our new house. (we haven't even found a house we like yet or put our current one on the market...to give you some sort of time frame ;) ) But I'll be gathering up parts, and prepping the tank for moving day!
So come along on my next step in my reefing journey won't you?

So here's my plan in a nutshell;
Going to pursue a bare bottom tank. All new dry rock with a little of the live rock from my current tank to seed it.
I'm going to transfer my coral from the 40 to the 75. But i'm going to do it as frags or small colonies. I'm going to be very perticular about coral placement this time around. I'm having issues in my current tank with corals running into eachother and fighting. Specifically my mushrooms killing the base encrusing parts of my acros and mille's. I will not be transfering any mushrooms and potentially any zoanthids.

I've landed on a 75 gallon reef ready that my "local" fish store (60 miles away) has on sale right now. I've never done "reef ready" and always done either hang on back overflow or drilled my own. So i'm excited to try a tank that is already drilled and ready to go, just needs to be plumbed.

Most of my equipment is already set for a larger tank. My skimmer is rated for 100 gallons, my sump and heater should be good to go as well. Just have to re-plum it.

I will likely be building my own stand with the help of my uncle who does wood working.

No pictures yet. I'm driving down friday afternoon to pick up the tank.

I'm super excited and I hope you are too :D :D

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following and looking forward to it. I'm actually debating between upgrading to either a 40 or 75. My worry is that if I d0 the 40, I will eventually be in the same boat as you :rolleyes:
Go 75, trust me ;)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if I'm using 4' of wall space anyway, how about a 90?

Don't mind me. I'm just rehearsing a monologue for my wife :D
Ha! Not a bad idea

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you already purchased the 75g? You'll run into the same issues you're having with the 40g in short order; the reef ready overflows will exacerbate this slightly. If it isn't too late, have you considered an 80g "frag" tank? A friend of mine tried to convince me to go this route before I grabbed the 75g and I thought the dimensions would look funky but the additional area would have been so helpful in the end. Dont get me wrong, I really like the 75g but in hindsight, if I were limited to something around the same size, I really wish I'd gone with the 80g for the extra six inches of width so I could have spaced the corals out further from one another.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you already purchased the 75g? You'll run into the same issues you're having with the 40g in short order; the reef ready overflows will exacerbate this slightly. If it isn't too late, have you considered an 80g "frag" tank? A friend of mine tried to convince me to go this route before I grabbed the 75g and I thought the dimensions would look funky but the additional area would have been so helpful in the end. Dont get me wrong, I really like the 75g but in hindsight, if I were limited to something around the same size, I really wish I'd gone with the 80g for the extra six inches of width so I could have spaced the corals out further from one another.
Good note. I'll check it out when I go down there on friday. I was also considering doing the Non-Reef ready and drilling an Eshopps Eclipse overflow. I am using the S on my 40 breeder now and was considering getting the M for the 75. I really enjoy the eclipse overflow and it's never given me an issue :)
But if they have an 80 i'll definitely check it out :)

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is "Try it, You'll like it !" I do like the slow part. But I know when you get to house hunting. Things will happen fast. Just remember the montra " Nothing good happens fast in a Reef Tank ".
ad26796b5060d46d90cfbab0b9c8f869.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is "Try it, You'll like it !" I do like the slow part. But I know when you get to house hunting. Things will happen fast. Just remember the montra " Nothing good happens fast in a Reef Tank ".
That's what i'm talking about!!^ I love it :D

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JimFuller is that the aqueon 75 gallon reef ready? If so may I ask a couple questions? For the overflow is it a single drain and single return?

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JimFuller is that the aqueon 75 gallon reef ready? If so may I ask a couple questions? For the overflow is it a single drain and single return?
Yes Crabs,
It is the Aqueon Reef Ready version. The overflow is a Durso with a single return. Both are 1 inch. It can be made a Herbie easily. Just have to bring a return over the back.
Jim

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey crabs what types of lights are you going to use? I am looking to maybe upgrade to a 75 gal. as well.
I haven't decided yet
afraid.gif

I know I'm going to sell my mh/t5 fixture as it's not going to work on a 4 foot tank. But idk if I want to do another mh/t5 or if I'm going to do led/t5

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't decided yet
afraid.gif

I know I'm going to sell my mh/t5 fixture as it's not going to work on a 4 foot tank. But idk if I want to do another mh/t5 or if I'm going to do led/t5
I just bought a 48 inch Giesemann infinity mh/t5 for 50% off brs

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back