Cracked tank & breakdown emergency

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely devastating. Happened unexpectedly I currently removed all rock / corals from tank into buckets. My fish are dispersed in my refug / display with 20% water. This is the morning of after a nightmare and I’m afraid I don’t know what to do next.

I plan to stay in the hobby but am very nervous about plumbing / drilling a new tank to replace my current one. I don’t want to break the pocket so a dream Red Sea all in one tank isn’t an option

SEND HELP

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely devastating. Happened unexpectedly I currently removed all rock / corals from tank into buckets. My fish are dispersed in my refug / display with 20% water. This is the morning of after a nightmare and I’m afraid I don’t know what to do next.

I plan to stay in the hobby but am very nervous about plumbing / drilling a new tank to replace my current one. I don’t want to break the pocket so a dream Red Sea all in one tank isn’t an option

SEND HELP
Where are you? What size system are you currently in?

In a pinch, a stock tub meant for feeding animals can be set up with all of your equipment as a temporary tank while you get things worked out.

If you were planning to upgrade already I would be wary about throwing good money after bad and immediately going to craigslist or Facebook and buying a cheap tank to set up today. Set up an intermediate solution with a tub that Could be used for a while and get it sorted out right for the long term.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your current tank and where are you located? Have you checked local groups or Facebook marketplace for tanks?
My current tank is 100 gallons and I’m located in San Diego CA. Because it’s so fresh so far I haven’t found anything that matches my size and ready for install

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you? What size system are you currently in?

In a pinch, a stock tub meant for feeding animals can be set up with all of your equipment as a temporary tank while you get things worked out.

If you were planning to upgrade already I would be wary about throwing good money after bad and immediately going to craigslist or Facebook and buying a cheap tank to set up today. Set up an intermediate solution with a tub that Could be used for a while and get it sorted out right for the long term.
San Diego, 100 gallon , 60 gallon sump. And what’s a stock tub? Just a glass box?
I agree I want to think long term and use this moment for a potential upgrade. Where do you suggest I look? I’m hoping to keep cost under 1,000 if possible.
At the same time I want to get this process going quickly as my corals/fish aren’t in the best place for survival at this moment.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
San Diego, 100 gallon , 60 gallon sump. And what’s a stock tub? Just a glass box?
I agree I want to think long term and use this moment for a potential upgrade. Where do you suggest I look? I’m hoping to keep cost under 1,000 if possible.
At the same time I want to get this process going quickly as my corals/fish aren’t in the best place for survival at this moment.
$90 new. Can be found used too. Fantastic in a pinch. I’d keep one on hand if I had room to store it. Wish I were in SD and I’d help you out.
Drilling a tank is really easy. Lots of tutorials online. Probably someone in your local reef club will help too.

B80BC80C-2050-4C17-AFF8-24643DBC3773.jpeg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank?

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m going to ask LFS to hold my fish, if not I’ll do the tub. Thanks.

many recommendations on where to look for a new tank?

carpetlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your display cracked is your sump big enough to house everything temporarily? If your sump cracked, can your display operate without an overflow? Maybe you could ask your Lfs to hold your corals and fish?

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A leak is the absolute worst. Sorry to hear it. Hope your home didn't get flooded too bad.

Best thing is to get a cheap, safe stock tank, set it up with all of your current equipment and take your time setting up the new tank. Just take care of the temporarily stocked tank, like it was your real tank, until the new system is installed, even if it takes months.

You may lose a few colonies, but you will be better off in the long run, if you take your time and do it right.

carpetlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have tons of flex tape that could be used to temporarily fix the situation? I know it sounds like a joke, but it has worked for a friend of mine. Held up a month till he got a new tank. (He wrapped the entire tank in the stuff!)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not do that but they are your fish and corals. I don't trust any lfs to be as clean as my system or take care of them as well. ..

You will be able to find a stock tub with 15 minutes of you I'll guarantee it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Call SC aquariums when they open. They are up in orange county and you can pick up the tank from them. May have one ready for Today pick up and will knock $100 off if you pick it up. Just an option.

Temp holding tank is the priority now though if your main display is leaking.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do that but they are your fish and corals. I don't trust any lfs to be as clean as my system or take care of them as well. ..

You will be able to find a stock tub with 15 minutes of you I'll guarantee it.
Does the stock tub need lighting ?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back