CRASH!!!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Not my tank. Don't be ridiculous. I use an undergravel filter so it can't crash.

My white worm culture crashed. :eek:

I think it may be ten years old and the worms are disappearing. They may be to inbred or have a social disease. I am not sure what it is but after the last worm bath, they started to disappear. I looked al over for them even in my wife's underwear drawer but they are no where to be found.

I did find a lot of things hatching into what looks like fruit flies, but they must be "worm flies". I put the culture outside so the neighbors could sample some of the flies.
I still l have worms but they are small.

If I get time, I will flood the entire culture and collect the worms that I can and start a new batch with new potting soil. Maybe after so many years, you need to do that.

Actually, now that I think about it. I did that a couple of months ago. Maybe the soil I used has A 1 Steak Sauce or transmission fluid from a 1967 Ford Pinto in it. Anyway, I will go look for different dirt and try to rescue my remaining worms. I need the worms for the bacteria so this is a crucial part of my system. :cool:

(Many people were hoping my tank crashed, this way they could say, See!!! you should have quarantined. :p

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul! To help ease your worry, you should know that one of the very last things I would expect to happen is for your tank to crash! Good luck with the worm culture. Really, I didn't think they actually had much in the way of culture anyway.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to reboot my fruit fly cultures every few months or they do that too(they breed faster though).
If have a microscope would be interesting to see the microfauna of the culture after so long.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Not my tank. Don't be ridiculous. I use an undergravel filter so it can't crash.

I think it may be ten years old and the worms are disappearing. They may be to inbred or have a social disease. I am not sure what it is but after the last worm bath, they started to disappear. I looked al over for them even in my wife's underwear drawer but they are no where to be found.

I did find a lot of things hatching into what looks like fruit flies, but they must be "worm flies". I put the culture outside so the neighbors could sample some of the flies.

If I get time, I will flood the entire culture and collect the worms that I can and start a new batch with new potting soil. Maybe after so many years, you need to do that.

Actually, now that I think about it. I did that a couple of months ago. Maybe the soil I used has A 1 Steak Sauce or transmission fluid from a 1967 Ford Pinto in it. Anyway, I will go look for different dirt and try to rescue my remaining worms. I need the worms for the bacteria so this is a crucial part of my system. :cool:

(Many people were hoping my tank crashed, this way they could say, See!!! you should have quarantined. :p

Scared me for a second :p

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol Paul! ;)

The only thing crashing is the waves on the beach when you are pumping your water into your truck because it's time to do a waterchange. :p

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw this thread title and literally shouted "NO!!" right in the middle of a coffee shop... Got lots of weird looks. ;Hilarious;Brb Thanks for the scare @Paul B! Sorry to hear about your worm culture, but glad the reef is ok.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted it to get at least fifty years old. Another year and a half. After that I may dump it out and plant petunias. :cool:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just said no and my wife looked at me. I said it looks like a legend's tank just crashed.

Good to see it wasn't your tank. Sorry about the worms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back