OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know you should be diy testing when dosing anything right.
I don’t lol. Well I tried to. And I just found it more of a pain so I sold my checkers. I just get my water tested weekly instead. And I need to get it tested again. I have Salifert tests I can do too. But for now fish are doing good and back in my tank and the bloom has cleared and no carbon dosing for the near future.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t lol. Well I tried to. And I just found it more of a pain so I sold my checkers. I just get my water tested weekly instead. And I need to get it tested again. I have Salifert tests I can do too. But for now fish are doing good and back in my tank and the bloom has cleared and no carbon dosing for the near future.
How about no carbon dosing and perform larger water changes.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about no carbon dosing and perform larger water changes.
That’s the plan. And that’s what I was doing at first for months with no effect. Which is why I started dosing. And I mean I was feeding less, increasing volume of changes, and skimming. But at the same time besides this once instance of my skimmer being off. I’ve stopped chasing numbers because there will be no perfect.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the plan. And that’s what I was doing at first for months with no effect. Which is why I started dosing. And I mean I was feeding less, increasing volume of changes, and skimming. But at the same time besides this once instance of my skimmer being off. I’ve stopped chasing numbers because there will be no perfect.
After seeing a picture of your tank I don’t think you will ever achieve the stability you want without more live rock.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea probably the probes got covered in it and it was inaccurate but all I know is everything dropped when I did it. And it did in fact negatively affect my inhabitants.
make sure your fish are all accounted for. dead fish can cause a bloom like this too

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
make sure your fish are all accounted for. dead fish can cause a bloom like this too
They are. I removed my dead urchin and shrimp too. And I know a dead urchin can poison a tank but it definitely was not the cause.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After seeing a picture of your tank I don’t think you will ever achieve the stability you want without more live rock.
And I do have more rock. I didn’t post more recent photos. This is not a nice photo but here’s the rock the tank is nice and clean now with no glass algae. It’s actually a lot but not too much because I want the fish to be able to have swimming room and I’m not a fan of when people pack tons and tons of rock into a tank especially a small one. It’s a lot more than I started with though.
3C9C844F-C486-4211-8654-161C2587256A.jpeg

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man, there is a difference between chasing numbers and being on top of your n umbers to achieve stability. You can get pretty close to perfect or within an acceptable range and that should be your goal. Your tank is barely 6 mo old so it will take time to get it stable. As said above you prob. need more rock or media in bags. You would benefit more from bacteria 7 or clean than the nopox.

I get the feeling you are trying too much for a faster result instead of just waiting things out or doing tried and true methods, that yeah, can take time.

Example: I have a very neglected aio45 g. It's several years old so not new. recently I've decided to revive it. No3 was way over 75 on 9/23. Since then, I've changed out a good 68 gal worth of water. It took 27 gal or so to bring it down to 66. Granted some of those 10% weren't done all at once but through out the day so not as effective as if I'd just done 10% all at once. The point is, I'm now at 40 no3, measured today, and yes, I'm dosing nopox and some other stuff but it is very controlled and more importantly, I'm testing no3 DAILY with a hanna checker so I know exactly how the system is reacting to each water change and each item I'm dosing. And I'm testing the big 3 as well..

If you are dosing and not testing you tank often, your tank is literally a train wreck waiting to happen. We will continue to see you having problems. What I'm gathering from all your threads/posts/comments, you refuse to listen to people and learn from them. We've all made mistakes and everyone is trying to help you but you seem like you just want to do it your way. Your way is leading to failure (if this is issue #6, then no matter how this one happened, it is contributing to your list of fails)

I hope you have a tank to come back too! Please test before you go.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I do have more rock. I didn’t post more recent photos. This is not a nice photo but here’s the rock the tank is nice and clean now with no glass algae. It’s actually a lot but not too much because I want the fish to be able to have swimming room and I’m not a fan of when people pack tons and tons of rock into a tank especially a small one. It’s a lot more than I started with though.
I'm seeing lots of glass algae lol's. On all 3 sides.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider that to be sufficient rock. Successful tanks with minimal live rock in the display typically have sumps full of rock or other media. I understand what you want, but that may not be compatible with that type of AIO. While the Berlin method is no longer gospel, there are some solid fundamentals to be learned from it.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider that to be sufficient rock. Successful tanks with minimal live rock in the display typically have sumps full of rock or other media. I understand what you want, but that may not be compatible with that type of AIO. While the Berlin method is no longer gospel, there are some solid fundamentals to be learned from it.
I would consider this. That is a fact. Most with sumps have a combination of rock, rubble and other media. For no3 in my aio I have a bag of de-nitrate and matrix. There is also ceramic rings, and siporax. All of these can provide places for bacteria--good bacteria which is your tanks filter system. If you do not have room for media (and I hope you have carbon in there), then you'll need more rock.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would consider this. That is a fact. Most with sumps have a combination of rock, rubble and other media. For no3 in my aio I have a bag of de-nitrate and matrix. There is also ceramic rings, and siporax. All of these can provide places for bacteria--good bacteria which is your tanks filter system. If you do not have room for media (and I hope you have carbon in there), then you'll need more rock.
I do! I have various media.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know she doesn't wanna hear this but live ocean rock would probably help stability to a greater extent than more dry rock that's just seeded with bottled bac

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back