Crazy Question-Taking a fish on vacation

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, this will sound absolutely crazy but I'm seriously considering bringing my mandarin dragonet with me on my 10 day vacation. Reason being is I don't have anyone to fish sit for me and he's obviously not going to eat from the automatic feeder like I just bought. I supplement feed with BBS along side his copepods. I just re-seeded the tank a week ago which obviously isn't ready for him to just go for it without the extra feedings. I'm not sure what else to do except bring him with me that way I know he's fed and isn't running out of food in two nights since the population isn't exploding in the tank yet. I can definitely hatch bbs and gut load with phyto-feast no questions and bring some of my culture's pods. But would he be ok with constant water changes from all the feedings I would be giving? I've read they can't go past a few days without food and I don't want to risk him starving while I'm gone. I'm really not sure what to do right now.
Tank should be able to provide before fish was purchased. Pods should be able to populate in a healthy/mature tank that allows them shelter.IMO…. Not saying it’s not possible but probably unnecessary…

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s the only pod eater in there. My situation is whether he’ll go through all the pods because they’re typically gone in a couple days not matter how many I put in there.
What makes you think it eradicates your pod population in that time?

Can we get a fts of this main tank? If you have rock and sand and an appropriate sized tank, I think you are overestimating what it can do.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think it eradicates your pod population in that time?

Can we get a fts of this main tank? If you have rock and sand and an appropriate sized tank, I think you are overestimating what it can do.
Lol no she doesn't see them he ate all them. Not like they can hide in rocks or sand. I'm over this thread it's up to y'all to help this one even tho I don't think there is any helping this one

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copepods hide. Them not being visible after being added doesn't mean they're all gone, it just means they know there's a predator. Check with a flashlight at night and you'll likely spot some.

@Blake509 that's an excellent way to make someone never want to ask for advice again. If you decide you no longer want to be part of a thread, you can just leave, without declaring someone hopeless for not knowing everything that you do.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a youtube reefer describing the Mandarine as the only fish that would survive if your tank wasn't fed for a year. Besides that, your fish likely spent far longer unfed when it was collected and transported before arriving at your lfs. this is why they often arrive with sunken stomachs.
in short, go on your vacation and your fish will be fine

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thank you to those who had helpful advice. I got it covered and handled. :) If what I was doing wasn’t enough to keep him alive for 4 months, he’d be dead by now so have a nice day. :) I believe in helping but not belittling someone for asking for help. It’s attitudes like that that truly get these fish killed because people don’t feel comfortable to ask questions. How else do you think scientific studies are done?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thank you to those who had helpful advice. I got it covered and handled. :) If what I was doing wasn’t enough to keep him alive for 4 months, he’d be dead by now so have a nice day. :) I believe in helping but not belittling someone for asking for help. It’s attitudes like that that truly get these fish killed because people don’t feel comfortable to ask questions. How else do you think scientific studies are done?
You realize you asked if you should take your fish on vacation.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selfish owners that didn't do the research before purchasing an animal are what gets them killed

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real issue is your tank isn't even established enough to support copepods at this point in any form (dry rock/dry sand) let alone a food source for a fish that eats thousands of them a day. Hinting when asked for tank pics they weren't provided. You literally have done every step wrong in owning this fish besides feed it copepods and are now looking for sympathy for your poor research.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nobody's fault but yours if that fish dies
If you don’t have anything nice to say, please see yourself out. No need for your rude comments or insults. I did over a year of research before getting him. That also includes conversations with professionals. My only problem was going on vacation. I asked for help. Problem solved. Your non-constructive criticism is uncalled for. You don’t even know anything about my tank except what you think you know and that’s just assumptions. Take your abusive language somewhere else. I didn’t ask for sympathy. I asked for options so I could secure his wellbeing while I was on vacation.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have anything nice to say, please see yourself out. No need for your rude comments or insults. I did over a year of research before getting him. That also includes conversations with professionals. My only problem was going on vacation. I asked for help. Problem solved. Your non-constructive criticism is uncalled for. You don’t even know anything about my tank except what you think you know and that’s just assumptions. Take your abusive language somewhere else. I didn’t ask for sympathy. I asked for options so I could secure his wellbeing while I was on vacation.
Maybe you should have let your tank establish for a year and we wouldn't be having this Convo at all best of luck to you your gonna need it

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a couple of copepod motels in your sump, they will have a safe spot during the day, at night they will pass through sump and return pump destributes them in display. Brine just hatch a hefty batch in a bucket with air stone, put in one or two dosing pumps or small pumps set to timers to feed, auto top off pumps seem like they would work perfect. Copepods and brine can both live a decent amount of time as long as they are not eaten. Cheato in sump with pods might be good for them as well. Good luck man and enjoy your vacation

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol someone has to b the bad guy since most of you are enabling this poor behavior
That is where you're wrong. Nobody needs to be a bad guy. You are choosing to be.

Delivering an opinion that is counter doesn't need to be mocking. Should not be a personal attack. If you don't have anything nice to say, expand your vocabulary to say something not nice, in a nicer way.

You aren't helping your case like that. You aren't teaching anyone anything.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee she will think twice about the next fish she purchases after this. Lol this is what's wrong with the world lol so soft you can't even tell someone they are wrong lol

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can address issues, but being rude even if it is true is not okay. R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously.

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine I don't want to be a part of something that enable poor pet owners

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back