Creeks Red Sea 525xl

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

Excited to announce I've decided to make the jump to a bigger tank!

I was previously running 2 90 gallon tanks which became a hassle. I decided it was time to jump on a Red Sea tank, I decided on the 525xl in white.

I've already started stocking up on the parts ill be using!

Parts List:

Lighting
- 3 Radion xr30w (2 gen 3 + 1 gen 4 for the middle)
Powerheads - 2 Mp40wqd
Battery Backup: Ecotech Battery backup
return pump - Vectra L1
Skimmer: Nyos 160
Controller: Apex orange label + Neptune probe holder
Rocks: 80 lbs of Real Life Rock (20 lbs base, 20 lbs shelf and 40 lbs of the shapes)
Sand: 2 bags of mini flakes and 1 bag of mesoflakes. total of 90 lbs
Reactors: 3 aquamaxx reactors to be plumbed into the return. (Broadfields wonderful idea)
Sump: Custom Sump (black/clear/neon green)
Heaters: Still Undecided if anyone has recommendations!
Plumbing:
still deciding on the color scheme. My sump is a neon green so I was leaning towards green or yellow pipe.

The tank should be arriving sometime this week. I'm just waiting to schedule a drop off appointment.

Hope to bring this thread to life with pictures soon!

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to follow me on my journey!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulation on the upgrade. The 525xl is a sweet tank. Looking forward to the build

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I went with 2 finnex 500 watt heaters. Will be controlled by apex. I already have 2 clowns in qt too.

IMG_0355.JPG

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I went with 2 finnex 500 watt heaters. Will be controlled by apex. I already have 2 clowns in qt too.

IMG_0355.JPG

Very nice! beautiful pair you picked up. I have a pair myself.

I have most of my existing stock in my last 90. planning to transfer my Gems when the time is right. My main fish will be my Black tang. then would like to accent him with some bright fish.

any personal input on green vs yellow plumbing? was thinking something bright and liked the idea of yellow possibly.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your choice on color, but I like green better than yellow. You only know what's best for your color scheme. I went with blue and grey sch 80. And thanks for the compliments on the clowns. Looking forward to seeing your black tang.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

Excited to announce I've decided to make the jump to a bigger tank!

I was previously running 2 90 gallon tanks which became a hassle. I decided it was time to jump on a Red Sea tank, I decided on the 525xl in white.

I've already started stocking up on the parts ill be using!

Parts List:

Lighting
- 3 Radion xr30w (2 gen 3 + 1 gen 4 for the middle)
Powerheads - 2 Mp40wqd
Battery Backup: Ecotech Battery backup
return pump - Vectra L1
Skimmer: Nyos 160
Controller: Apex orange label + Neptune probe holder
Rocks: 80 lbs of Real Life Rock (20 lbs base, 20 lbs shelf and 40 lbs of the shapes)
Sand: 2 bags of mini flakes and 1 bag of mesoflakes. total of 90 lbs
Reactors: 3 aquamaxx reactors to be plumbed into the return. (Broadfields wonderful idea)
Sump: Custom Sump (black/clear/neon green)
Heaters: Still Undecided if anyone has recommendations!
Plumbing:
still deciding on the color scheme. My sump is a neon green so I was leaning towards green or yellow pipe.

The tank should be arriving sometime this week. I'm just waiting to schedule a drop off appointment.

Hope to bring this thread to life with pictures soon!

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to follow me on my journey!

Congrats on an awesome tank! (I might be bias, as I have the same one!)

Equipment list looks good - how big of a sump area do you have for heaters? I'm a big fan of the Eheim Jager series of heaters. I have a 300w Jager in my tank right now, and it works like a champ - no issues, easy to calibrate, nice and reliable. That said, they are LONG... much more than other similarly sized heaters. So, if space is at a premium, then you might want to look elsewhere. I like the Finnex titanium heaters as well (I have a 500w in my reefer as a backup to the Jager). They are much smaller and I've used several of their heaters without issue as well. Either would be a good choice. A lot of people have been using the Cobalt 300w heaters as well. :)

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My color scheme is kinda funky. doesn't really have 1 color to run with. I took a risk and went with the yellow. hoping it won't look cheap when it all comes together. ill see what I think when it arrives before I start.

Congrats on an awesome tank! (I might be bias, as I have the same one!)

Equipment list looks good - how big of a sump area do you have for heaters? I'm a big fan of the Eheim Jager series of heaters. I have a 300w Jager in my tank right now, and it works like a champ - no issues, easy to calibrate, nice and reliable. That said, they are LONG... much more than other similarly sized heaters. So, if space is at a premium, then you might want to look elsewhere. I like the Finnex titanium heaters as well (I have a 500w in my reefer as a backup to the Jager). They are much smaller and I've used several of their heaters without issue as well. Either would be a good choice. A lot of people have been using the Cobalt 300w heaters as well. :)
Thank You! Can't wait to get started already! I have to drop by your thread!

I do have a jager in my 90 and the one issue I had was the length. only place it fit was the overflow. where are you keeping yours?
The sump should have ample room for a heater. I was running a jbj tru temp but wasn't completely satisfied with it after it started acting up. I do like the cobalts although pricey. I will look into the finnex or cobalt I assume.

I appreciate the feedback!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are in the center section of my custom sump, stacked one above the other. I have a "busy" central sump section, so real estate is at a premium there. Still, the jager is ~20" long, and I think my chamber is ~ 22.5", so it fits, but just. :)

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it didn't pay for it all! Lol but it took a nice piece off the top and made the descion a bit easier.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back