OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is unrelated but since it seems you are new to the hobby I wanted to make sure that your bookshelf stand set up there is strong enough to support that tank properly? Weighs over 300lbs, and most furniture is not sufficient for aquariums over 10 or 20g. Having said that, for all i know its a beast or you reinforced it. Just lookin out ; )
Yeah, I built a support stand for it. It fits under the cabinet very nicely, and all of the weight is on the stand.
upload_2017-6-11_21-39-12-png.533166

Love your aquascape btw, great job!
Thanks!

I agree with letting the tank mature.
A clam should be one of the last things you add. Like high dollar corals
I'm looking wayyy into the future. I'm trying to get everything planned out in advance because I want to leave a space for the clam. I'm probably going to get the clam around Christmas if I decide on getting one (and everything goes well)

So, based on all of your responses, I've narrowed it down to two options:

1. Get a Crocea Clam and pace it fairly high and on a flat rock
2. Get a Maxima Clam and attach it to the rock structure somehow

Thanks for the info guys:)

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I wouldn't pinch pennies on lighting. The Prime only has a max 24" footprint. I believe a 40breeder is 36" long, correct me if I'm wrong.

Down the road when you are ready for clams, you will most likely want a bigger light to cover the footprint of your tank.

Also, clams are not an easy thing to keep. As others have said, don't buy anything smaller than 3" unless you know what you're doing. They can easily starve to death. Before getting a clam, id start with some easy SPS. Both require high light and you can start to get the feel of dosing calc/alk, which are necessity for long term clam keeping.

Just curious, but how long have you been in the hobby?

Last edited:
OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I wouldn't pinch pennies on lighting. The Prime only has a max 24" footprint. I believe a 40breeder is 36" long, correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry, I should of mentioned this earlier. I'm getting TWO Ai Prime HD fixtures. Sorry for the confusion.

Before getting a clam, id start with some easy SPS. Both require high light and you can start to get the feel of dosing calc/alk, which are necessity for long term clam keeping.
This was kinda already in my plans, I was thinking of keeping some montipora once my tank has matured a bit.
Keep in mind, all of this talk about clams is purely hypothetical. I'm just trying to plan what I am doing, so that I can set up things accordingly.

Just curious, but how long have you been in the hobby?
I've been doing freshwater for a while now, but I just started my first saltwater tank this month. I've been researching for the past 2 months, so I don't think I'm entirely a beginner, but I still need a lot of experience.

Thanks for all of the replies, I never thought this thread would get so long:)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Get a Crocea Clam and pace it fairly high and on a flat rock
2. Get a Maxima Clam and attach it to the rock structure somehow

Thanks for the info guys:)

FYI you can start the Crocea in the sand bed to acclimate to lighting. AI prime will be fine, just acclimate the clam to your lighting
Clams are like anemones they go where they want for what ever reason, they move and attach and then release and move again, trying to keep a clam where you like it rarely works out, and you can not corral a clam, that typically ends badly.

Do not over think it. Get a Derasa when your tank is ready and then move on to more expensive clams. I really and sincerely think the Prime will be fine for clams.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my crocea for 3 years now in a 40b using an ATI 4 bulb T5 fixture. Clam has grown steadily and has been very healthy and hardy for me.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies, I never thought this thread would get so long
We like clams. :)

FYI you can start the Crocea in the sand bed to acclimate to lighting. AI prime will be fine, just acclimate the clam to your lighting
Clams are like anemones they go where they want for what ever reason, they move and attach and then release and move again, trying to keep a clam where you like it rarely works out, and you can not corral a clam, that typically ends badly.

Do not over think it. Get a Derasa when your tank is ready and then move on to more expensive clams. I really and sincerely think the Prime will be fine for clams.
+1 , billion.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much for the reply.:)
I guess I'll do what you suggested and get a Derasa in a few months.

By the way, I just saw that this thread got featured on the REEF2REEF facebook page:eek:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geee I wonder how that happened.?:oops::oops::oops: ;)

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes yearssssss to grow a clam to those sizes, i wouldnt worry about it. Just put it on the sand. If you want to get it on the rocks you'll have to makeshift something to keep it in place until it attaches.
Yep don't worry, it probably won't survive long enough to even get close to too big, lol. Sorry, I've never had luck with clams, just when I think they're looking great, they start dying on me, or something starts eating, etc..

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep don't worry, it probably won't survive long enough to even get close to too big, lol. Sorry, I've never had luck with clams, just when I think they're looking great, they start dying on me, or something starts eating, etc.
What clams did you have?

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a maxima fan! And tank wont limit you to what kind you decide on. Will just need a bigger tank sooner or later or youll have a clam tank [emoji14] 2 primes should do nicely over a 40b.

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow how old and how long have you had that clam ?

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow how old and how long have you had that clam ?
Had it for about a year now. LFS had it for 2 years before that. By the growth on its mantle id say its close to 10. But could be way older or younger. Wasnt in great condition when i got it. Was covered in majanos from its mantle to its foot.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back