Crocea laying on side. Give it a nudge?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clam brings me amazing joy, but also massive stress for its well-being. Since adding it to the tank, it has been tweaking its position bit-by-bit (1 week tomorrow). Today, it is nearly horizontal. I can't imagine this is optimal for the clam. I've also been pruning the Galaxaura near it so that the branches don't bother the mantle, but it keeps inching closer to the macro...

I don't know if it is best to leave it alone (I've been told several times on this forum to leave it alone... and I've listened, but I keep second-guessing), or try to reposition it... In this case, my question is: can the clam be OK if it is in this position on its side? The AI Prime 16HD is still positioned a bit in front of the clam, so the light is hitting its entire mantle, still, but the interior part of its mantle that has it incurrent siphon is shaded.

Here is a pic from Friday:
IMG_20220415_100028212.jpg

IMG_20220415_100013168.jpg

Here it is today:
IMG_20220419_103032489.jpg

IMG_20220419_103046895.jpg

IMG_20220419_103054079_HDR.jpg

And here is a video of the clam reacting to my waving a hand over it. Still quite responsive and re-extending its mantle readily.
(link in case embedding doesn't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6B3M7j3kmC6bcugF7)

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While upright is
This clam brings me amazing joy, but also massive stress for its well-being. Since adding it to the tank, it has been tweaking its position bit-by-bit (1 week tomorrow). Today, it is nearly horizontal. I can't imagine this is optimal for the clam. I've also been pruning the Galaxaura near it so that the branches don't bother the mantle, but it keeps inching closer to the macro...

I don't know if it is best to leave it alone (I've been told several times on this forum to leave it alone... and I've listened, but I keep second-guessing), or try to reposition it... In this case, my question is: can the clam be OK if it is in this position on its side? The AI Prime 16HD is still positioned a bit in front of the clam, so the light is hitting its entire mantle, still, but the interior part of its mantle that has it incurrent siphon is shaded.

Here is a pic from Friday:
IMG_20220415_100028212.jpg

IMG_20220415_100013168.jpg

Here it is today:
IMG_20220419_103032489.jpg

IMG_20220419_103046895.jpg

IMG_20220419_103054079_HDR.jpg

And here is a video of the clam reacting to my waving a hand over it. Still quite responsive and re-extending its mantle readily.
(link in case embedding doesn't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6B3M7j3kmC6bcugF7)

Thanks!
best, this should be fine

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is attached, leave it alone. If it doesn't like its position, it will move (similar concept with anemones).

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.

While upright is

best, this should be fine

Is it attached via byssal threads. If so and it’s extended and reacting to light of leave it alone

If it is attached, leave it alone. If it doesn't like its position, it will move (similar concept with anemones).

Yes, it seems well attached to the rock perch I had it on. Seems to just be shifting itself very slowly--actually, just jumped... like right now. Little hop/squeeze motion. Still on the same rock/spot, but it's lifted itself up about 15 degrees and rotated it's body a few degrees.

Right, so I will treat this guy like an anemone and only intervene if it looks like it's in danger of toppling over onto the sandbed, which it currently does not.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Clam is at it again. I leave work every day and come back to the clam slightly turned one way or another, and it is slowly inching itself forward to the edge of the rock. I've been leaving it completely alone--just trimming the Galaxaura a bit when the branches are hitting its mantle.

Does the clam have the ability to go in reverse? How far to the edge can the clam go and still hold itself up? I don't want it to tumble off of the rocks--should be just a short tumble to the next level below (~3/4"), but it could also keep moving and tumble into the sand bed full of RFAs.

Below some pics at different angles:
IMG_20220518_150613258_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220518_150622147_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220518_151654941_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220518_151727168_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
The crocea keeps nudging forward every day and ends up vertically hanging from the edge. I gently slide it back onto the flat part of the rock daily now--it has a few byssal threads attached to the top of the rock (else it would fall), so I just move it as far as the threads let me without resistance.

I know people say they hate being moved. Mine closes when I put my hand on it to move it and reopens fully within 10 seconds of letting go. Think we're buds.

I do wonder why it inches forward, and I speculate that it is to get closer to the center of the light. So, I may try to increase the light potency very slowly (don't want the inhabitants below to get too hot...zoas, torch, hammer, octospawn, RFAs).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just let the clam be, it's trying to orient itself to maximize lighting and flow. Remember, these clams don't settle out on perfectly flat rocks in nature. The beauty of tridanca clams is their ability to extend their mantles to maximize light capture and they also have the ability to redirect the light that's absorbed by the mantle. They can actually move things (zoox/iridophores) around within the mantle to maximize light efficiency. Left in place long enough, you should start to notice that the rock beneath the clam will turn white as it starts to bore into the rock. At this size, it's not going to bore that deep, but you should see some activity. Constantly touching the clam will result in it's death, so leave it be. Increasing light intensity is a good plan, slow and steady. Enjoy!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the clam be, it's trying to orient itself to maximize lighting and flow. Remember, these clams don't settle out on perfectly flat rocks in nature. The beauty of tridanca clams is their ability to extend their mantles to maximize light capture and they also have the ability to redirect the light that's absorbed by the mantle. They can actually move things (zoox/iridophores) around within the mantle to maximize light efficiency. Left in place long enough, you should start to notice that the rock beneath the clam will turn white as it starts to bore into the rock. At this size, it's not going to bore that deep, but you should see some activity. Constantly touching the clam will result in it's death, so leave it be. Increasing light intensity is a good plan, slow and steady. Enjoy!

Hopefully things don't end that's way. My primary concern is that it doesn't fall off the rock and into the RFA bed, especially on a weekeywhdre I won't catch it till Monday. Seems to literally be hanging on by a thread.

I suspect part of the forward movement is feeding response. When I dump phyto/oyster egg in, it pumps a few times, wobbling always forward, and it does that a few times during the day (and presumably at night). Doesn't seem to be able to go in reverse. Or maybe it doesn't want to.

I'll start with the lights and try to avoid moving it unless it looks dangerous.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's attached, then it's fine. If it releases the bissal threads, then it's not happy where it is. Let it settle and see what happens, but constantly touching it is not a good thing. Stress is a sure-fire way of killing animals. It can protect itself if it falls, as it will close up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back