Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fx 6

kept the ceramic rings and added some bio balls

just have carbon running in therefor chemical filtration
I'm using a fx4, full of ceramic rings and bioballs, and carbon only too, I kept the outer foam for large debris filtering.
I really like how they work, and how easy adding new top up and WC water is.

I was using a 306 before, but was too small, not enough water volume and not good for using ceramic rings and bioballs.

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build! I thought about using FX6 but decided to put in some more $ and get a Trigger Sump. It came on sale on Canada Day at Aquarium Direct so that was good timing! Any regrets with the canister filter?

How do you like the gyre? What lights are you using? Debating between AI Prime 16HD and the CoralBox/Jebao powerheads. So many decisions.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a fx4, full of ceramic rings and bioballs, and carbon only too, I kept the outer foam for large debris filtering.
I really like how they work, and how easy adding new top up and WC water is.

I was using a 306 before, but was too small, not enough water volume and not good for using ceramic rings and bioballs.

totally agree ! The 306 is really lacking , and the fx auto prime is amazing

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build! I thought about using FX6 but decided to put in some more $ and get a Trigger Sump. It came on sale on Canada Day at Aquarium Direct so that was good timing! Any regrets with the canister filter?

How do you like the gyre? What lights are you using? Debating between AI Prime 16HD and the CoralBox/Jebao powerheads. So many decisions.
Very nice ! Those are amazing sumps

nope I quite like it and gives me a lil extra flow

I love my gyres - keep the tank so clean and clear compared to my tank with traditional pumps
Light is kessil AP700

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally agree ! The 306 is really lacking , and the fx auto prime is amazing
I really like the fx canisters, I did have a sump over 6 years ago, but had a power outage while on vacation and it syphoned water from my DT to the sump and overflowed. So for now, I'm completely happy using my canister filter, I would have upgraded to an fx6, but it won't fit in my stand

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the fx canisters, I did have a sump over 6 years ago, but had a power outage while on vacation and it syphoned water from my DT to the sump and overflowed. So for now, I'm completely happy using my canister filter, I would have upgraded to an fx6, but it won't fit in my stand

that is definitely a huge worry of mine, and I’m terrible with plumbing

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is definitely a huge worry of mine, and I’m terrible with plumbing

If setup properly, basically meaning you have a siphon break and the sump is large enough it will never overflow :) All it takes is a little planning and you're good to go

@Cstar_BC tanks looking great! Loving the aquascape and everything is looking healthy!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If setup properly, basically meaning you have a siphon break and the sump is large enough it will never overflow :) All it takes is a little planning and you're good to go

@Cstar_BC tanks looking great! Loving the aquascape and everything is looking healthy!
I had the sump and aquarium in my house when I purchased it 12 years ago, knew nothing about saltwater or sumps..but it maintained for 6 years, lots of algae issues, then it overflowed and I was done. For my own sanity, I feel more comfortable with the canister..at least for now. The online info we have now is amazing and would have probably helped 6+ years ago with my sump/setup issue, lol

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my big big dream tank will get the professional install

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the sump and aquarium in my house when I purchased it 12 years ago, knew nothing about saltwater or sumps..but it maintained for 6 years, lots of algae issues, then it overflowed and I was done. For my own sanity, I feel more comfortable with the canister..at least for now. The online info we have now is amazing and would have probably helped 6+ years ago with my sump/setup issue, lol

I love canister filters. I was running a 406 on my freshwater and it kept the water so clean to the point I did not need to change water for 3 weeks. I also did not need to clean it for months. For salt water I kept reading it would become a nitrate factory and folks chiming in it happened to them so I changed to using a sump. Hearing your stories makes the case interesting again. Oh well, try something new :) Plus I wanted to hide the heater from the main tank.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love canister filters. I was running a 406 on my freshwater and it kept the water so clean to the point I did not need to change water for 3 weeks. I also did not need to clean it for months. For salt water I kept reading it would become a nitrate factory and folks chiming in it happened to them so I changed to using a sump. Hearing your stories makes the case interesting again. Oh well, try something new :) Plus I wanted to hide the heater from the main tank.
I would have a sump, if I felt comfortable with it and I could afford all the fun stuff that goes into it...but for now, monthly canister cleanings I'm more than willing to do. No problems with a sump if you plumb it right, unlike how mine was... Niagara falls lol

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yeah , hiding the equipment is definitely a huge perk and makes the setup look so clean .

I definitely envy some of the more handy people who have the colour matching pipes and dumps and superb wire management .

I like my filter. It’s doing a great job so far .

We’re keeping some easy sps alive so hopefully it continues - fingers crossed

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely envy some of the more handy people who have the colour matching pipes and dumps and superb wire management .

No reason to envy, lots of help available on here to guide you on proper plumbing techniques and planning your sump and plumbing whenever you do get that dream setup going :) Easy to find people to help source plumbing parts and put together a list of what you need.

As long as you clean your canister regularly it should work just fine though :)

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in your pic you are using Fritz salt? Do you like it?

Trying to decide what is a good starting salt. Seem to be good reviews on it. Seems to be about $81 CAD plus tax.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the gyres you use the "IceCap 2K Gyre Flow" ?

I have two xf350

I noticed in your pic you are using Fritz salt? Do you like it?

Trying to decide what is a good starting salt. Seem to be good reviews on it. Seems to be about $81 CAD plus tax.

I used to use IO, however I have noticed the fritz mixes so much faster and cleaner

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back