CTARS the future

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to contact the board and get something going unfortunately nothing is happening. I understand people have things going on in their lives which are more important than this club but I would like to move forward see if we can reinvigorate the club. I would like to see who is interested in moving forward with a club which in my vision would be quite different than what we have now. I would like a Statewide Club which would be broken down into smaller local groups for in-person meetings. It would be less centralized with each local group having a shared responsibility for providing group activities/content which while generated from the local group would be available to all members. By doing this we share the load and make running this club a much easier job while accomplishing what I believe is our main goal is interaction with fellow reefers. I don't want to get too far into this unless I see that there is interest in moving forward and participating. If you're interested in this format please let me know. Thanks Kurt

A.Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second any idea to reinvigorate the club. @kgstei is there a board position you'd like me to nominate you for so you can help lead implementing this idea?

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second any idea to reinvigorate the club. @kgstei is there a board position you'd like me to nominate you for so you can help lead implementing this idea?
Aaron sure president but it will be a different Club than what we have now. A big part of the problem is the format that we use sucks. We have very little control and it's not particularly streamlined is making things easy peasy for the board. AND you would have to stay on as treasurer.

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested...sort of....with Covid still causing issues round the world, I personally will be very cautious to engage in any in-person meetings. I would want to know the rules, or lack of, for any gatherings...

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the game, but from Orange, CT. I know of another guy in Orange who would be down to meet up. I know I talked with the guy at Blakes about CTARS a week ago and he said he hasn't heard anything in a while, but that you use to go there as a meeting place.

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested...sort of....with Covid still causing issues round the world, I personally will be very cautious to engage in any in-person meetings. I would want to know the rules, or lack of, for any gatherings...
The first rule of reef club is:you don’t talk about reef club, especially to my wife, never mention reef club. Seriously

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fair point and my spidysenses is that there is a very wide range of viewpoints on the subject. But My Hope Is that with multiple smaller groups we will be able to offer a variety of opportunities to engage, from virtual tours of members tanks, group buys, diy events, on line forums etc

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the game, but from Orange, CT. I know of another guy in Orange who would be down to meet up. I know I talked with the guy at Blakes about CTARS a week ago and he said he hasn't heard anything in a while, but that you use to go there as a meeting place.
Welcome aboard. Using you as an example. I would Envision the new club working something like this. Let's say you are part of a New Haven area group. Your group get together with Blake on a time and date and host a meeting there. You post the info on the club site and the meeting is open to all member. So if there are people in the Hartford group or Fairfield County group etc who want to come down, they can.. By breaking it down into smaller groups like that we can provide more opportunities 4 each other. And opportunities at different times one of the problems is that previously the club wilmeetings at the Lutz was at5pm on Sundays. Not everybody could make that time so by having different groups hopefully we can get more variety in meeting opportunities so that someone can find a meeting nearby, kind of like AA, Aquatics Anonymous. Part of the problem right now is we just don't have enough members to come to a statewide event.

Last edited:

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well In regards to members, I feel like many feel CTARS kind of been phased out. Hence why I am not a active member as of yet and I can say this for Fairfield county. Many of us reach out into the Manhattan/ NY platform out there to reach fellow reefers. Think if we promote specially to LFS we can get way more numbers of members.

And with COVID, working in the ER myself we know it’s gonna be a concern for a while but having a establish group and resources is a bigger benefit so there are ways we can work around staying safe and enjoying the reefing community together

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well In regards to members, I feel like many feel CTARS kind of been phased out. Hence why I am not a active member as of yet and I can say this for Fairfield county. Many of us reach out into the Manhattan/ NY platform out there to reach fellow reefers. Think if we promote specially to LFS we can get way more numbers of members.

And with COVID, working in the ER myself we know it’s gonna be a concern for a while but having a establish group and resources is a bigger benefit so there are ways we can work around staying safe and enjoying the reefing community together
That's exactly what I'm hoping to address in the new format. Reefers in Fairfield County have always been underserved just because of distance to the Lutz in Manchester. If a local group formed in Fairfield County they would be able to go to their meetings and reasonably close meetings in New Haven County or Litchfield. if we take this a step further the concept can be expanded beyond Connecticut and a group in say Westchester County. It's really all about having a group accessible nearby within 30 minutes while still maintaining a link to the larger group and the benefits that is afforded by more people. I think of it more as in network as opposed to an actual single group delineate by state borders. If you're along the border it makes sense to include people who were 30 minutes across the border from you.

Last edited:

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm a terrible ctsars member I don't go to meetings and I read a lot, just don't say much. However, if we have a meeting at a LFS in our area I may be more motivated to go.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back