CTARS the future

icycoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea and I completely agree it would be fantastic to see the club thriving and participation up. However, it doesn’t sound like one unified club. There’s also the issue of the many smaller clubs and the bureaucratic overhead of one governing entity.
I know of a large local state wide club close to us that holds meetings at different locations throughout the year so people around that state can be included. Perhaps exploring remote monthly online virtual meetings along with less frequent in person events could work. It’s become more and more prevalent with the technology available these days.
I also think it comes down to a bit of commitment from members to support the club and from the leadership to engage the members. I live in the very north east corner of the state. I’ve traveled to the NY line to trade frags. I formed carpools with members from my area to Manchester for monthly meetings. Our shared passion for the hobby made it worth while and fun. Some cool raffle items usually help too.
Just my thoughts.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were doing the monthly video chats, we even had melvies reef on. That even dropped sorry to say. People got busy with there lives.
For us to do something at FFM, we would have to start right now. Get a vision, divide up people to do certain jobs, and act on them.
It's been 2 full years of this covid and it has hurt many many clubs I'm sure.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the club is currently dead with intentions of reviving it. I did notice that CTARS is on the preliminary list of vendors for FFM this year. This event has the potential to be a great kickstart to a newly reimagined CT reef club. Just putting it out there.
That's a great idea Mike. Hopefully I can get things going before then.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea and I completely agree it would be fantastic to see the club thriving and participation up. However, it doesn’t sound like one unified club. There’s also the issue of the many smaller clubs and the bureaucratic overhead of one governing entity.
I know of a large local state wide club close to us that holds meetings at different locations throughout the year so people around that state can be included. Perhaps exploring remote monthly online virtual meetings along with less frequent in person events could work. It’s become more and more prevalent with the technology available these days.
I also think it comes down to a bit of commitment from members to support the club and from the leadership to engage the members. I live in the very north east corner of the state. I’ve traveled to the NY line to trade frags. I formed carpools with members from my area to Manchester for monthly meetings. Our shared passion for the hobby made it worth while and fun. Some cool raffle items usually help too.
Just my thoughts.
My hope is to make it run smoother and easier. It will be one Connecticut Club with hopefully a One-Stop streamlined operation to handle all the bureaucratic things. The chapters are smaller parts of the whole, essentially spreading out the workload from a centralized BOD, who up until now has been responsible for getting everything going and doing all the work, to 8 subchapters which are interwoven providing content for the club. This could be a combination in-person meetings, DIY events, virtual meetings, Group by events, grow out contests. It's about sharing the workload. If you have 8 functional groups you'll have much more opportunities to get involved. You're not restricted to just your chapter but can attend events at any chapter whichever is convenient for you. Hopefully by having eight chapters will have eight different opportunities different times and dates so that somebody will find something that works for their schedule and hopefully something nearby.

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were doing the monthly video chats, we even had melvies reef on. That even dropped sorry to say. People got busy with there lives.
For us to do something at FFM, we would have to start right now. Get a vision, divide up people to do certain jobs, and act on them.
It's been 2 full years of this covid and it has hurt many many clubs I'm sure.
I hope with the new format we can get this cranking

shecter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been on this site in a while but I am definitely down. There are also 5 or 6 others in my area of northeast ct that I may be able to get into it as well. I was a member in the past and I don’t mind helping out if I can

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been on this site in a while but I am definitely down. There are also 5 or 6 others in my area of northeast ct that I may be able to get into it as well. I was a member in the past and I don’t mind helping out if I can
Excellent make sure you the pole
Excellent make sure you do the poll up above in the sticky threads

OP
OP
kgstei

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. See if you can get them to take the poll.

Roid my reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the club is currently dead with intentions of reviving it. I did notice that CTARS is on the preliminary list of vendors for FFM this year. This event has the potential to be a great kickstart to a newly reimagined CT reef club. Just putting it out there.
Agreed I spoke to someone at FFM idk if it was you but I’ve been going to CTARS meeting for a while and just tried to get back onto R2R. Tried to join CTARS on this. Not accepted yet. But I’m excited for more events for sure.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back