Cube questions

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the aesthetics and footprint of cube aquariums, and I am really thinking of doing a largish cube as my next tank. I have some questions and concerns though. Keep in mind I am speaking about a cube of at least 100 gallons that has sides of 30 inches. How do fish who need large tanks for swimming room (tangs etc) do in cubes? How difficult/feasible is it to have the overflow in the middle of the tank with live rock covering it? What are some specific challenges with larger cubes that I should be aware of.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 93 cube, with a corner overflow. Not exactly what you're discussing on having, but maybe more experience than most.

How many viewing sides will you have to the tank? You discuss a central overflow and rock surrounding it. Will you be viewing from all 4 sides? If not, I would suggest a corner overflow. A central overflow would cut out the length of the cube which would be needed for swimming space. Also could play havoc with attempting to get proper flow in the tank.

My cube is 30 L x 30 W x 24 H, with two viewing angles. It sits in the corner of a room. One constraint I found is dealing with maintenance with the sump under the tank. If the tank is in the middle of a room, or not up against two walls it would be easier but the lack of length in the tank has made for interesting sump design and maintenance.

Best of luck!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @JBKReef I wouldn't do a central overflow. Unless, that is, it's at least 60" on a side.

Also, mine is a corner. Wish I would have set it up to go in the center of the wall to have access to 3 sides of the stand. Originally designed it this way but it didn't work out.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said: if it's big enough...

I honestly like a walk around tank. There was a 36" one on here that was walk around and still used a corner overflow. Possibly one of my favorite tanks of all time. But, alas, he moved and took it down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I really like the aesthetics and footprint of cube aquariums, and I am really thinking of doing a largish cube as my next tank. I have some questions and concerns though. Keep in mind I am speaking about a cube of at least 100 gallons that has sides of 30 inches. How do fish who need large tanks for swimming room (tangs etc) do in cubes? How difficult/feasible is it to have the overflow in the middle of the tank with live rock covering it? What are some specific challenges with larger cubes that I should be aware of.

Thanks Crabs for heads up. They actually do well. Do however keep in mind Max Size potential (as you will not want a dussomieri, vaglimi,tang, etc who can grow to over a foot). I limit to dwarf angels, tangs such as yellow, kole eye, wrasses, clownfish and gobies who will grow in tank but not outgrow if that makes sense.
Center overflow should work and disadvantages are swimming length as a 93 cube will be 30 inches, a 150 will be 42", etc but overall depending on scape, there is adequate room to keep fish happy.
I currently have flame angel, yellow tang, lg engineer goby, three firefish, 4 clownfish, purple basslet, diamondback goby, butterfly and lawnmower blenny in my 93g cube

I have ghost aquaX overflows (one in each corner) which consume NO space and almost un-noticeable) that flow into a Skimz model 22 sump

93cubea.jpg
93cubeN.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back