Cupramine for quarantine

lookatmyfeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I want to start quarantining any new fish i get, but SeaChem Cupramine says not to use with any dechlorinators.....how exactly do I safely add water to my quarantine tank then?

JFJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for hijacking this thread for my question, it is along the same line though.
I bought a banded Pipefish from my LFS together with a Copperband, since they are both difficult to get them to start feeding. Both of them eats well now and surprisingly aggressive after about a week in my QT tank, mostly mysis and brine shrimp all frozen and clams. I quarantine all new entreats to my DT and treat them prophylactic with Cupramine, MetroPlex and PraziPro. I will not deviate from this regime for any new fish entering my DT since I do have ich, velvet sensitive fish including high risk tangs in my DT.
Is their a reasonable chance that the Pipefish will survive this aggressive quarantine phase that last 31 days? I usually start with the Copper treatment and after one week start with the Metro internal and external in parallel for another 14 days then remove all copper and Metro with large water changes and do 2 Prazi treatments 7 days apart.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for hijacking this thread for my question, it is along the same line though.
I bought a banded Pipefish from my LFS together with a Copperband, since they are both difficult to get them to start feeding. Both of them eats well now and surprisingly aggressive after about a week in my QT tank, mostly mysis and brine shrimp all frozen and clams. I quarantine all new entreats to my DT and treat them prophylactic with Cupramine, MetroPlex and PraziPro. I will not deviate from this regime for any new fish entering my DT since I do have ich, velvet sensitive fish including high risk tangs in my DT.
Is their a reasonable chance that the Pipefish will survive this aggressive quarantine phase that last 31 days? I usually start with the Copper treatment and after one week start with the Metro internal and external in parallel for another 14 days then remove all copper and Metro with large water changes and do 2 Prazi treatments 7 days apart.

I am curious about this. I know dragonetts seem to do ok in copper power, but I have never seen someone try it with pipefish. I would start a new thread with this question and tag jay hemdal in it as I really don't know the answer.

JFJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dosed 0.5 ml Cupramine since Thursday(3days) in 30l qt tank, taking it very slow, both the Copperband and the pipefish still ok and eating well

JFJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper level is therapeutic now at .45. I did add a Rosey scaled fairy wrasse to the mix a few days ago. All seems happy and is eating well, the pipefish is doing great considering the copper and the Copper band is still eating well.

Back