Cured Rock Odd Question

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

Had a few setbacks and decided to redo the flooring of my house so I had to take down my 4 week cycling tank. Fast forward to today I have everything set up except for lights (gonna wait 2-3 months to do so since it’s bare bottom) for my waterbox 25 gallon peninsula and have been cycling my tank for 2 weeks already.... Just got slapped in the face realizing the importance of curing dry rock so please let me know:
- Did I just skip a huge step not curing them in brute trash can?
- If I decide to add one more rock (3.6 pounds) will I have to buy another bottle of Fritz Turbo start?
- The rock didn’t come with visible waste like dry sponges so will a 50% water change suffice once the rock is ready or is it safer to do a 100% water change?
- I was told Prime should be used once I hit the 1-2 month mark what does it do?

Thank you in advice for all the input I hope everyone has a great night¡

CocoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a 75 with dry rock, didnt cure any of it but I did give it a good rinse before adding to the tank. I let it cycle for about 2 months and then added some prime. Before adding any livestock, I changed 100% of the water over 3 water changes. About 2 weeks deep and no problems so far (knock on wood)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep your parameters as correct and stable during this time of cycling. Make sure you don’t let your phosphates or nitrates zero out . Yes add beneficial bacteria, throw in a dead shrimp from the grocery store . Keep a eye on your ammonia and when your tank is cycled you should have zero ammonia before you add fish . Also when you add livestock do it one at a time giving about 5-7 days in between to allow the beneficial bacteria to multiply to handle the new bioloads .slow and steady is king in reefing . Good luck ! Your on a good site for a wealth of information

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to keep your parameters as correct and stable during this time of cycling. Make sure you don’t let your phosphates or nitrates zero out . Yes add beneficial bacteria, throw in a dead shrimp from the grocery store . Keep a eye on your ammonia and when your tank is cycled you should have zero ammonia before you add fish . Also when you add livestock do it one at a time giving about 5-7 days in between to allow the beneficial bacteria to multiply to handle the new bioloads .slow and steady is king in reefing . Good luck ! Your on a good site for a wealth of information
Thank you both for the input, my only concern is that since I only have dry rock should I go ahead and buy some bio filtration blocks or spheres before the tests give me the green light to start my water changes? Or should I wait until I start cycling the tank¿
I just started a 75 with dry rock, didnt cure any of it but I did give it a good rinse before adding to the tank. I let it cycle for about 2 months and then added some prime. Before adding any livestock, I changed 100% of the water over 3 water changes. About 2 weeks deep and no problems so far (knock on wood)

Back