Curing reef saver rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the solid advise. I’ve watched the BRS video on curing. But I’m still confused if I need a light source over the rock. I’d like to avoid adding any light if possible to absolutely cut down on alge issues with the phosphate swings. If I seed bacteria is it a necessary thing? Also how long can I potentially leave it in the bucket?

Hi, my advice would be not to use any light or seeding bacteria whilst the rock is in the bucket. You are just going to monitor the rock to see if their are any signs of curing or leaching. Just check for phosphates at the end of the first week. If your rock is leaching then just do a 100% water change in the bucket and start again. If everything is OK then you can start your seeding of the rock in your tank, again no light is required.

I have no experience of the BRS rock as I prefer to use a totally artificial rock. So unfortunately I have no knowledge of how clean the rock is. That is why I suggest you just test it first. The length of time in the bucket really depends on when you are satisfied that the rock is ready to transfer.

Tim Hovanec has some excellent advice on starting your cycle with dead rock. I can thoroughly recommend that you visit his site and have a read.

Don`t forget that creating the initial bacterial colony to sustain the basic part of your nitrogen cycle is just the first step. They are many more challenges and changes to your tank to come. No matter how precise you are nature will always lead the way. Good luck

OP
OP
Reef Jedi

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my advice would be not to use any light or seeding bacteria whilst the rock is in the bucket. You are just going to monitor the rock to see if their are any signs of curing or leaching. Just check for phosphates at the end of the first week. If your rock is leaching then just do a 100% water change in the bucket and start again. If everything is OK then you can start your seeding of the rock in your tank, again no light is required.

I have no experience of the BRS rock as I prefer to use a totally artificial rock. So unfortunately I have no knowledge of how clean the rock is. That is why I suggest you just test it first. The length of time in the bucket really depends on when you are satisfied that the rock is ready to transfer.

Tim Hovanec has some excellent advice on starting your cycle with dead rock. I can thoroughly recommend that you visit his site and have a read.

Don`t forget that creating the initial bacterial colony to sustain the basic part of your nitrogen cycle is just the first step. They are many more challenges and changes to your tank to come. No matter how precise you are nature will always lead the way. Good luck

Thanks for the advise Tony! I’ll keep checking phosphates with a Hanna checker. It’s almost been a week so I’ll test Saturday. BRS reef saver looks as white as can be and also very clean. When I scrubbed and cleaned the rocks not much if any came off the rocks. I’ll continue to monitor for phosphates as well. I’m glad I didn’t give an acid bath as I think I would just eat the rock away for nothing. But again, thanks for the good advise.

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the solid advise. I’ve watched the BRS video on curing. But I’m still confused if I need a light source over the rock. I’d like to avoid adding any light if possible to absolutely cut down on alge issues with the phosphate swings. If I seed bacteria is it a necessary thing? Also how long can I potentially leave it in the bucket?

So how did everything workout for you with the BRS Reef Saver rock? I'm looking at purchasing about 80 to 100 pounds.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back