Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this thread -
Does not make sense to me that tin would seep thru a RO membrane but not other substances which are smaller. Most h202 contains tin. I am unaware of a h202 product only containing oxygen and hydrogen. Maybe buying 100% and cutting it yourself.
One of the frustrating things I see is people doing this for dinos, as well as total black outs. This likely hurts the dinos yes, but what does it do to the beneficial bacteria as well? I imagine this most often restarts the Dino process, dinos are not something that can survive/thrive long term, but if you keep giving them that bare rock lifeless tank, it seems likely they restart over and over again, often causing the same issue for people. When they think they are killing them, they are merely restarting the process.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not overly, I’d never add h202 in my tank. It has fillers, it’s not just oxygen and hydrogen.
But it’s food grade hydrogen peroxide...

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this thread -
Does not make sense to me that tin would seep thru a RO membrane but not other substances which are smaller. Most h202 contains tin. I am unaware of a h202 product only containing oxygen and hydrogen. Maybe buying 100% and cutting it yourself.
I’m no @Randy Holmes-Farley but I think the percentages are based on water to oxygen levels. So 3% has the most water in it

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it’s food grade hydrogen peroxide...
I wanted it to be an open discussion, I just don’t think we understand the long term effects. I was under the impression that food grade things were food grade safe for humans, not animals/plants/corals in all cases.
I’m no @Randy Holmes-Farley but I think the percentages are based on water to oxygen levels. So 3% has the most water in it
Would be very curious of Randy’s thoughts on all of this. I’m no chemist by any means just what I observe after a long time in the hobby. H202 was not a thing associated with reef tanks a few years ago, and I’ve yet to seen anyone truly benefit from it over a long period.
On a side note - very happy for Lionel Messi and Argentina they are deserving of this win!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be an experimental effort to combat some parasites. Doing it now on my tank experiment instead of reliving the 1st half of this year in QT madness.

Maybe coincidental, but I have noticed it bottoms out my alk levels when dosing. I'm ~ 1.6ppm or 180ml on a 180g total water vol.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say i have ever directly dosed H2O2 to my systems but i have used the 3% solution for direct algae control on frags. I pull the frag from the tank and use a small soft bristle paint brush and "paint" the H2O2 on the algae. Let it sit for a min or two, rinse and back in it goes, Algae gone the next day!

I do however use H2O2 in another way. I use Oxydators on my systems for the various benefits i believe they bring to the table. I use food grade 35% H2O2 and dilute it down to about 7% using RODI. That gets added to the oxydator with 1-2 catalysts.

@atoll and @Lasse may give more insight on using H2O2?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say i have ever directly dosed H2O2 to my systems but i have used the 3% solution for direct algae control on frags. I pull the frag from the tank and use a small soft bristle paint brush and "paint" the H2O2 on the algae. Let it sit for a min or two, rinse and back in it goes, Algae gone the next day!

I do however use H2O2 in another way. I use Oxydators on my systems for the various benefits i believe they bring to the table. I use food grade 35% H2O2 and dilute it down to about 7% using RODI. That gets added to the oxydator with 1-2 catalysts.

@atoll and @Lasse may give more insight on using H2O2?
The benefits have long been reported by both myself @Lasse and many others esp on the Oxydator user group on Facebook of which there are many.
I have directly dosed peroxide in the past many years ago but you have to be extremely careful doing so. Lots of people have reported problems doing so with corals burnt by it. Oxydators are a much much safer way of using peroxide.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most h202 contains tin
You say so - what´s the hard fact behind? Can you back up this statement? Which concentrations? How much? Where does the tin in H2O2 come from? Can there be tin free H2O2 as well?

Sincerely Lasse

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unorthodox use of h202.

I had some bryopsis appear in my system awhile back. Tried manually removing it but it always came back. So after a few months of manual removing I decided to use h202.
I used a 3ml syringe with a 29 gauge 1.5" needle.
I draw up 1ml of 34%, yes thats 34% not 3%, into the barrel.
I get my h292 at the hydro store and use it instead of bleach for cleaning filter socks.
I apply it directly to the patch of bryopsis, with all pumps off! It dies almost immediatly . I only use about 1/2 ml of the solution as more is not needed.
You need to be carefull not to get any on your corals which is why I use the needle for more control.
It has also worked on green disco mushrooms that I could not manually remove. These mushrooms will sting and kill anything they touch.
I inject it into the stalk and the mushroom turns brown and releases from the rock and is removed. I use only 0.1ml of solution as not much is needed.

I have had no issues with either method.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say so - what´s the hard fact behind? Can you back up this statement? Which concentrations? How much? Where does the tin in H2O2 come from? Can there be tin free H2O2 as well?

Sincerely Lasse
Most, if not all Hydrogen Peroxide found at the store contains stabilizers, tin is commonly used as a stabilizer but there are others as well. I have no idea what the concentrations are, read about h2o2 stabilizers if you'd like to know more about the commonly used ones. If one was able to find a diluted h2o2 solution without any stabilizers, that would not contain tin.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most, if not all Hydrogen Peroxide found at the store contains stabilizers, tin is commonly used as a stabilizer but there are others as well. I have no idea what the concentrations are, read about h2o2 stabilizers if you'd like to know more about the commonly used ones. If one was able to find a diluted h2o2 solution without any stabilizers, that would not contain tin.
Does food grade hydrogen peroxide contain stabalisers?
In fact I will answer that question as you obviously don't know.
That is why we recommend food grade in fact food grade for any chemical, if it can be add, to our tanks
People have to be careful listening to those who give out the wrong information on groups they can be very misleading uniformed and scaremongering which your post is.
So for anybody who might be put off thinking they are adding tin to their tanks don't be if you use the recommended food grade peroxide there isn't any period.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does food grade hydrogen peroxide contain stabalisers?
No, food grade should not contain any stabilizers.
When looking at the active ingredients, most that are bought at local stores with say stabilized hydrogen peroxide 3%. Food grade will usually just say hydrogen peroxide 3% and water.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, food grade should not contain any stabilizers.
Correct as above. We only ever recommend food grade. I was editing my post to ensure the wrong alarmist information is nipped in the bud. Food grade is what is always recommended with any chemical, if its available, we might add to.our tanks.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct as above. We only ever recommend food grade. I was editing my post to ensure the wrong alarmist information is nipped in the bud. Food grade is what is always recommended with any chemical, if its available, we might add to.our tanks.
Right, my point was that most people buy hydrogen peroxide at the store, and most stores do not sell food grade.
I am not scaremongering... I am sure you are aware that most of the people adding hydrogen peroxide to their tanks to treat things like dinos are not buying food grade.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, folks should recognize that hydrogen peroxide can do more than just decompose into O2 and H2O. Specifically, it can alter the forms of trace elements present.

Apparently, for example, hydrogen peroxide can reduce cupric ion (Cu++, the normal form in seawater) to cuprous ion (Cu+) and can oxidize ferrous ion (Fe++) to ferric ion (Fe+++).

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, my point was that most people buy hydrogen peroxide at the store, and most stores do not sell food grade.
I am not scaremongering... I am sure you are aware that most of the people adding hydrogen peroxide to their tanks to treat things like dinos are not buying food grade.
You used a blanket statement of peroxide contains tin which is misleading when in fact there is simply no need to buy peroxide with tin in it. As you are now aware not all peroxide has tin it. Would have been better if you had differentiated between the two or were you unaware that food grade contains nothing but peroxide and no tin untill you were informed?
Reefers in Europe seem to know to use food grade peroxide. Not sure why that's not the case in the US. Food grade isn't difficult to obtain here at all you can even buy it off eBay and Amazon even Anyway to anybody reading this buy food grade peroxide and you will be fine with no fear of tin or anyother heavy metals in it.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used a blanket statement of peroxide contains tin which is misleading when in fact there is simply no need to buy peroxide with tin in it. As you are now aware not all peroxide has tin it. Would have been better if you had differentiated between the two or were you unaware that food grade contains nothing but peroxide and no tin untill you were informed?
Reefers in Europe seem to know to use food grade peroxide. Not sure why that's not the case in the US. Food grade isn't difficult to obtain here at all you can even buy it off eBay and Amazon even Anyway to anybody reading this buy food grade peroxide and you will be fine with no fear of tin or anyother heavy metals in it.
I did not see your edit before responding to your post. I rarely see food grade hydrogen peroxide being suggested on most threads.
Any H2O2 that could contain contain tin or other products will say stabilized hydrogen peroxide, and almost (if not all) hydrogen peroxides found on the shelves are stabilized.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, folks should recognize that hydrogen peroxide can do more than just decompose into O2 and H2O. Specifically, it can alter the forms of trace elements present.

Apparently, for example, hydrogen peroxide can reduce cupric ion (Cu++, the normal form in seawater) to cuprous ion (Cu+) and can oxidize ferrous ion (Fe++) to ferric ion (Fe+++).
Interesting Randi. However, and as you are aware there is much peroxide may act with perhaps having less affect on the likes of iron. While peroxide is reacting to organics in our water for instance. I dose iron now and again but not often. I even use your formula to make it myself, thanks for that. I guess it might be a question as to what peroxide reacts to first before it breaks down completely and then to reacts with iron do you think?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back