Current usa led light

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Just wondering about the current usa led light. I have a 48 inch tank and was thinking about buying the 48-60 inch light instead of the 36-48 one... Would the 36-48 look funny on top of the 48? And would that lightbe sufficient for that length of a tank? Thanks in advance for you input!

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48" tank with 2 48" Current USA IC LED fixtures on it and it looks just fine. My lights are lying directly on my glass hood. They are very low profile and you hardly notice them. With the various opinions here that these lights are a little weak, I wanted as many LEDs as I could fit, so I went with the 48".

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased one for 200 bucks shipped and think it comes with a wave maker as well new. Wasnt sure about the length but on youtube the light seemed good? And got great reviews. So now i hope i will be satisfied with it and my tank is only 20 inches tall. How tall is yours?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is either 20" or 22" high, I'm not sure. I kept the cheapo Marineland LED strip it came with (it clamps to the rim and doesn't obstruct the other lights) as well as a couple of old 24" Coralife T5 fixtures that I picked up used for $25, so I've got some options if the Orbits aren't enough by themselves. It's a new tank and no corals yet, so I don't know how it's going to work yet.

The Loop powerheads are pretty cool. I got the small, med, and large and I'm running the bigger two in gyre mode at 30%. You can hook up all three, but the third connection only runs in steady mode. It's intended for a return pump and not really for a powerhead.

I think this was the two orbit fixtures and the little LED strip together. No T5 were on in this pic.
635fc11dd3ff9672e21d7d65572b4142.jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with the 660, 1050 and the 2100 gph pumps. I'm using the two largest ones at 30%.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm very happy with it. I've just read quite a few people saying that it's not enough light for SPS corals. Softies and most LPS should do fine. I'm new to saltwater tanks, so I haven't tried any corals yet, other that a couple of zoa frags, so I can't say for sure.

I'm keeping the other lights just in case I need them some day.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of the lights, the 22" and the 34" (those aren't the exact measurements, but close enough) on a 50gal. They are great for the softies and LPS. I've got the SPS at the tippy top of the rockwork and the birdsnests are growing up a storm, the montis seem to be doing well, but the acro frags, while growing, are definitely not getting enough light, lacking full polyp extension and losing color / turning to brown. I'm keeping my eye out for some additional lighting.

As far as the pumps, I've got the 660 as one of my powerheads; it produces a nice gentle current but really is underpowered for this size tank. I'll be switching it to another smaller tank, along with the lights at some point as I upgrade the lights and pumps for this tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back