Current USA Orbit Marine LED any good?

joshua1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System any good? I have someone that has it for sale cheep. currently i have no light for my aquarium because its not up and running yet.

p_87700_73810KZ_004.jpg

Invader_Moose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it's a great beginner LED and I say begginer because you don't have many programming options other than intensity and ramp timers. I've had one for several years over multiple depth tanks from 12-30". Never really saw great growth but the coral colors were always spectacular. I'm going the same route as @Mr_Banna_Pants with t5/current marine combo.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres 2 versions. One has lenses (new) one has led squares(old) for a shallower tank its ok.(meh) the new ones have more punch.
Def a cool thing to have and add to a t5 or t5 retro. I did just that. the light was just not enough on a standard 55g. the company actually recommends two for a 55.

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Moose and Salty Film. I think its a decent light especially if you can get a deal. I've got an 18" and a 24" on my 54 corner tank plus a couple stunner strips on a timer. My LPS and softies are doing great, but I don't think I have enough strength to try any SPS. Its an easy light to set up and use and if you get more than one, they will sync up to the same controller. I love the way my corals look at night under the blues.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y
I agree with Moose and Salty Film. I think its a decent light especially if you can get a deal. I've got an 18" and a 24" on my 54 corner tank plus a couple stunner strips on a timer. My LPS and softies are doing great, but I don't think I have enough strength to try any SPS. Its an easy light to set up and use and if you get more than one, they will sync up to the same controller. I love the way my corals look at night under the blues.
ea its a pretty light IMo

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not necessarily a new or old option, one is just called orbit marine (no lenses) and the other is the orbit marine PRO (lenses).

The pro is definitely a good entry light and will grow LPS and softies fine. I personally wouldn't bother with the non pro version.

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System any good? I have someone that has it for sale cheep. currently i have no light for my aquarium because its not up and running yet.

p_87700_73810KZ_004.jpg

I have there flow pump kit , I love it .... never had the lights but heard there alright - the lights are good as a starter for generic lower end coral ...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not necessarily a new or old option, one is just called orbit marine (no lenses) and the other is the orbit marine PRO (lenses).

The pro is definitely a good entry light and will grow LPS and softies fine. I personally wouldn't bother with the non pro version.
the confusing marketing thing was all the boxes and ads say PRO. they mean the timer.:rolleyes:. when I got mine the version with the lenses was not available.

Va_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the confusing marketing thing was all the boxes and ads say PRO. they mean the timer.:rolleyes:. when I got mine the version with the lenses was not available.
Really?

We've always had both options available from the get go. (lenses vs no lenses)

Maybe that was after they released the first "gen" marine.

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion this is a very basic light. It will do just ok with soft and LPS corals and will not be good for SPS. If you are not planning to do corals it will be fine for a FOWLR tank. As stated it is a good beginners light until you really know what you are trying to accomplish in your tank. One of the big negatives is that when the bulbs go bad they are not replaceable.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?

We've always had both options available from the get go. (lenses vs no lenses)

Maybe that was after they released the first "gen" marine.
I will definitely look again. there was much discussion here on them a good while back.(2 years now?)

But for the OP id say no lens is pretty and ok on a shallow tank, the lensed ones are pretty good.
the old ones btw at about 12in are about 300 par i recall, the new ones are in the 550 par range.

aquablizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell the difference between the pro and the non pro.. I see talk on this thread about lenses but what does that mean,,, I have a chance to buy a used 48-60 unit less then 6 months old,, owner getting out of the hobby and fixtures looks like new.

Any help would be appreciated...

blizz

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell the difference between the pro and the non pro.. I see talk on this thread about lenses but what does that mean,,, I have a chance to buy a used 48-60 unit less then 6 months old,, owner getting out of the hobby and fixtures looks like new.

Any help would be appreciated...

blizz
no lens
non lens orbite-marine-led-current-usa-1.jpg

lenses
lens p-93944-84101V-84103V.jpg

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has the lenses. It's the dual 72" pro strips. I haven't been too impressed with growth or coverage. But, I haven't put anything else on the tank to compare them.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u share you're settings please, I would really appreciate it.
I started and stayed with the 60% acclimation pre-program for a couple of months.
Took several more months but found my sweet spot was at 60% whites and 100% blues.
Used their pre-program mode and adjusted the ramp up time, intensities and ramp down time.
The blues ramped up at 9:30am / The whites ramped up at 10:00 am. Then the whites ramped down at 7:00pm and the blues ramped down at 8:00pm. All the ramps are 30min. I never ran the moonlight option.

I had the 54watt bar. It sounds small watt but those lenses focus some serious punch. The first day they burned off coralline 24" down. The spread is very tight compared to the regular orbit and that's probably why they make the dual versions in the Pro models.

It did take awhile for my SPS to acclimate to the leds and then they started taking off and I was finally able to get the blues to 100%.
At one point I was running whites at 40% with blues at 100% but was able to slowly bring up the whites to 60%.

I did pull it out about 3 weeks ago and modded in a lot of Kessil a80's. I have no complaints with the OMP. I just wanted the Kessil shimmer.

The PRO bar is really well built and when you figure in the ramp timer it's a very nice setup for the money :)

Keep time digital timer away from water and don't let any moisture get on it.

I have a older reef so it did take time for the corals to adjust to led's before I saw the SPS growth kick back in.

I've never used any other led bars so I can't honestly say the PRO is better than any other brands.

Sometimes Dr Foster & Smiths puts them on sale at some crazy low price points :D

Regards, GoVols

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed response. I think i will slowly change my light settings and schedule.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back