custom 93g acrylic cube reef tank build

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can get it figured out. Keep in mind that it could have been drilled for either schedule 80 or schedule 40 pvc which would be different sizes also.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is... schedule 40 and 80 bulk head sizes with hole sizes for each.

Sense i didnt have a micrometer i took a pizza box lid and laided it under the tank and traced tje holes with a pencil. The over flow hole is 2 5/8" so i need a schedule 80 1 1/2" bulkhead. Now my return hole is 1 1/2" so i need a schedule 40 3/4" bulkhead. But sense my return splits off and exits out the over flow box i really need three 3/4" schedule 40 bulk heads. And im gonna get 2 foot of 3/4" lock line to direct the flow where ever i see fit :) and i want to do a dorsal over flow drain but im going to have the pick up at the bottom of the over flow box to help keep detritus from settling on the bottom.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Attachments

• 1362643419741.jpg
    1362643419741.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 293

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, I can't wait to see the end result. For sand I would recommend caribsea special grade reef sand. That fine stuff just blows around too much, been there done that and it was a pain to remove all that fine sand. Also I think you will be much happier with 2 pm40s over the mp10s. I have an mp10 in my34 solana (20x20x20) and I have it all the way up. I'm seriously thinking about putting my mp40 in there. Also even if it seems like good flow when you first set up the tank once your corals grow in that will change. Those pumps are just too expensive to have to replace. I will have to upgrade my mp10 once I get my 150 cube set up.

And why are you selling the challenger? I love E- bodies. I've restored a few mopars and the E-bodies remain my favorite though I don't think I'd be able to part with any of them, lol.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, I can't wait to see the end result. For sand I would recommend caribsea special grade reef sand. That fine stuff just blows around too much, been there done that and it was a pain to remove all that fine sand. Also I think you will be much happier with 2 pm40s over the mp10s. I have an mp10 in my34 solana (20x20x20) and I have it all the way up. I'm seriously thinking about putting my mp40 in there. Also even if it seems like good flow when you first set up the tank once your corals grow in that will change. Those pumps are just too expensive to have to replace. I will have to upgrade my mp10 once I get my 150 cube set up.

And why are you selling the challenger? I love E- bodies. I've restored a few mopars and the E-bodies remain my favorite though I don't think I'd be able to part with any of them, lol.

Thanks. Its the first system that im not really using right out the box. :) i still have a lot to do and decide on.

And ive always rented so im putting all my cars up forsale to buy a house. :) and im all MOPAR whole family born and raised haha ive been to MOPAR Nationals in Carliale, PA several times. But i agree E body is my favorite... just cant beat the curves.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang my LFS dont have the bulkheads amd loc-line i need. :-(

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order off marinedepot. Or brs. There both fast shipping. So you have a 11/2 return and 3- 3/4" returns that's a odd set up show me some pic. So we can figure out this plumbing I'm a master now lol.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just a single return that splits off in side the over flow box so it has one on each side of the over flow box. And i found my parts online and wow their pricey for everything.

Attachments

• 1362719612366.jpg
    1362719612366.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 1362719626091.jpg
    1362719626091.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 1362719692729.jpg
    1362719692729.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 213

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build... looking forward to seeing some water in it. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, schedule 80 is pricey but it will last forever.
Also 3/4" loc-line and fittings isnt cheap

Nice build... looking forward to seeing some water in it. :bigsmile:

Thank you so much. I have seen your posts and threads. Glad to see your going to follow along :)

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow im going to pick up the new sump... i think im gonna leave it a surprise till after i pick it up.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool. can't wait to see it. glad to see you moving along on this.

I have $200 in store credit waiting to be spent lol the sump is gonna take alot of room in the stand but i think it will work out ok long as i plan everything out and keep it organized. Im also pretty much sold on a RDSB/ ATO it would be a custom made tank to fit and be divided in half to separate the 2.

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grumpy did you check those out I think if you put 1 on each side and use it as your return you can get some good flow. The only this it how high is it drilled on the overflow cause if you shut off the pump or loose power the tank will drain to the point the holes are drilled. So you doing 1 1/2 out and 3/4 return split into 2 ... 3/4" returns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grumpy did you check those out I think if you put 1 on each side and use it as your return you can get some good flow. The only this it how high is it drilled on the overflow cause if you shut off the pump or loose power the tank will drain to the point the holes are drilled. So you doing 1 1/2 out and 3/4 return split into 2 ... 3/4" returns.

Yeah my sump wont be able to handle 4-6" of drain off. But i know how im gonna fix that. All i have to do is bend the loc-line up as high as i want the drain off to be and drill a small 1/8 or even a 1/16 hole in the lock line at the highest point. That way of the power goes out when the water drains off that little hole will allow air to fill the loc-line and break the siphon.

And yeah ive been looking at those. I could have them pointed at the opposite bottom corners and have them intersect right in the middle of the tank.

chadderboxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the build I have them in action I think there cool. I don't think ill need my mp40 or 60. Save me $$$ watch the top of the water level go up and down really good flow. And with you drill a hole won't it spray water out if its a return you have to face it down into the tank.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the build I have them in action I think there cool. I don't think ill need my mp40 or 60. Save me $$$ watch the top of the water level go up and down really good flow. And with you drill a hole won't it spray water out if its a return you have to face it down into the tank.

Yes i would drill it under the water so salt creep wont plug it up. I got curious about the drain off so i calculated it and im looking at 3.875 gallons for every inch of drain off.

OP
OP
grumpy-crab

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need opinions... Im changing my mind about the sump i want :( the first sump i wanted was Eshopps RS-200 but now im thinking i want the Eshopps R-200

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back