Custom acrylic sumps.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know of anybody that builds custom acrylic sumps in the NYC and New Jersey area?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you're looking within your own area? Support local businesses or just trying to save on shipping costs??

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you're looking within your own area? Support local businesses or just trying to save on shipping costs??
mostly shipping cost and its also good to support local shops.. some place offer free shipping on items over 150 but not custom even tho the dimensions might be the same or smaller

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size of sump are you looking for? Honestly when looking at anything custom depending on the size shipping is negligible in terms of overall cost (think 5-20% of what you spend on the sump itself depending on where it's being built). I don't build them personally no but have had 2 of them built for me so I'm not a stranger to the process by any means. I'm not aware of anyone local or even within reasonable driving distance of your location that builds them. Depending on how far of a drive you are to the border. Adaptive Reef in Toronto Canada makes custom sumps as well. I would think however you should be able to atleast find one builder around you with enough digging. Seems to me In situations like this there is always atleast one builder kicking around that doesn't have a huge online presence.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from Canada I’m in NYC . I’m looking everywhere

9 hour drive one way would be a super fun trip :p but would cost more in gas than shipping. However shipping would be pretty cheap for such a short distance...

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 hour drive one way would be a super fun trip :p but would cost more in gas than shipping. However shipping would be pretty cheap for such a short distance...
Lol , what do you consider cheap ?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol , what do you consider cheap ?

You're probably $150ish maybe less depending on things, Synergy Reef is a bit of a ways south of you but still shipping wouldn't be bad.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to find a shop that orders custom tanks. They can usually get better deals on shipping by ordering multiples at a time and splitting shipping costs. I found a shop by me in Delaware that groups orders to help with that. If time isn't critical that might be your best bet.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shipping on a sump that size will be 100 ish, if it is shipped ground and packaged in cardboard with foam. This is how trigger systems sumps are shipped and cost about that to ship for similar sizes.

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to find a shop that orders custom tanks. They can usually get better deals on shipping by ordering multiples at a time and splitting shipping costs. I found a shop by me in Delaware that groups orders to help with that. If time isn't critical that might be your best bet.
Thx for that advice, the sump under my tank right now is from Delaware 302 aquatics what a fiasco that was !!!

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shipping on a sump that size will be 100 ish, if it is shipped ground and packaged in cardboard with foam. This is how trigger systems sumps are shipped and cost about that to ship for similar sizes.
Thank you for info

OP
OP
richiero

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want a plug and play that matches my existing sump setup
My current sump was custom but made like **** from 302 aquatic it was leaking when I did my new setup had to reseal it a total nightmare, so I bought a new ret pump and I had to squeeze it in return section it fit fine up top and got really snug on the button, the other baffles seem to be Boeing a bit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back