Custom aquarium feedback

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am beginning to plan our new reef aquarium. The tank dimensions are not finalized but its looking like it will be 72x36x24 or about 270 gallons. We would do either a hybrid or external overflow with a bean animal setup inside. I am considering both rimless and euro braced options. My preferred stand would be made from metal with magnetic removable panels for maintenance. The sump will be below the aquarium in the stand. I would like to design an electrical panel into the stand for easy access on one of the short ends. As far as livestock goes, I would like to an acro heavy mixed reef.

We are getting quotes from miracles aquariums, crystal dynamics, reef savvy and planet aquariums. I would also like to get a quote from tank me USA but their quote form is inactive on their website. The sump will likely be from synergy, I really like the look of their stuff.

Here are some of my questions about this:

Have you used any of these manufacturers? How was your experience with them? How long was it from order to delivery?
For those of you that have a tank thats 36" front to back. do you like it? Does the width make it hard to work on? The long edge of the tank will be against a wall.
What are your thoughts on lighting and flow on a tank this size?
The tank will be on a tile floor in our basement, which is a concrete slab. Do you think the tank's weight will crack my tiles?

Thanks for your feedback!

-Jason

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun! Sounds like you will have an assume tank! I recently went through similar. I went with GlassCages because I could not afford the 4 manufactures listed above (GC was almost half the cost).

I did attempt to get quotes from who you listed (plus a few more). Expensive and some had a 1 year wait (some not taking new orders).

But all great manufacturers, and you’ll get what you pay for (and be happy in the end).

Mine is 72x30. I wanted 36, but worried about getting it through doorways easy. Mine I use Hydra 32 (4 of them) on a rail.

30” wide is hard to reach back wall, and ended up sitting out from wall far enough. 36” wide may have been to much (but on paper sounded nice).

Flow I used dual returns (Varios 8); probably over did it. They run at setting 1 with good flow.

You’ll get great advice here. Enjoy!!

0525F42B-246A-4B11-BD1F-E02C6F1E6F39.jpeg 6BFF72CD-5961-47AB-A6DC-FD2FC5B82A54.jpeg 80DF4E8B-214C-47C0-80F7-6B5F16C244E3.jpeg BEC8D30B-71CE-4325-BA72-DCF688D0CB37.jpeg 2A3843B7-C53A-4893-BC95-16561508D393.jpeg 4B145A8A-77A9-45AA-9B3B-D9F9A78E1F18.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking about my new build for when I move. Personally, I like a deeper tank (top to bottom) rather than just 24". Depth can make it a little more difficult to work with but it gives a nice appearance. I've only been keeping SPS for the last 20+ years but with my new, deeper, tank I plan to have LPS at the deeper levels. I'm considering at least a 30 x 30, and, perhaps more likely, a 36 x 36. (Length will be 7-8').

If you don't mind the shallow tank you mentioned, I see no problem with the 36" wide measurement. You will find it makes it much easier to aquascape. This is a pic of an old 500 I set up in '94 that was 36 wide but 48" deep (44" of water). It looked great, but 48" will be too much for me to deal with now that I'm getting old! :)
full.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you'll find some info and reviews of some of your choices here.... my Miracles Aquariums tank is in the mix there as well

Honestly, at that size I would not go rimless. In fact some of those manufacturers will probably insist on Eurobracing. For myself atleast I probably wouldn't do 36" if one of the long ends is up against a wall. This is something you might be best to mock up with cardboard or pvc pipe and see for yourself. Depending on how tall your stand is it might make things very difficult to reach.

As for wait times, you're probably looking at anywhere from 3-12 months... this is why Tank Me USA's quote form is currently closed as there backlog is longer than they feel there customers should wait.

Last edited:

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you'll find some info and reviews of some of your choices here.... my Miracles Aquariums tank is in the mix there as well

Honestly, at that size I would not go rimless. In fact some of those manufacturers will probably insist on Eurobracing. For myself atleast I probably wouldn't do 36" if one of the long ends is up against a wall. This is something you might be best to mock up with cardboard or pvc pipe and see for yourself. Depending on how tall your stand is it might make things very difficult to reach.
+1. Most manufacturers would not do rimless at that size, or went with 1” thick glass at a crazy price. I hated euro bracing, but it is almost required at that size.

And I did a cardboard mock up too!! To see how it would look. Also consider moving it. Both now when you get it initially set up, and the future, if you ever have to move it again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking about my new build for when I move. Personally, I like a deeper tank (top to bottom) rather than just 24". Depth can make it a little more difficult to work with but it gives a nice appearance. I've only been keeping SPS for the last 20+ years but with my new, deeper, tank I plan to have LPS at the deeper levels. I'm considering at least a 30 x 30, and, perhaps more likely, a 36 x 36. (Length will be 7-8').

If you don't mind the shallow tank you mentioned, I see no problem with the 36" wide measurement. You will find it makes it much easier to aquascape. This is a pic of an old 500 I set up in '94 that was 36 wide but 48" deep (44" of water). It looked great, but 48" will be too much for me to deal with now that I'm getting old! :)
full.jpg

Doc Thats a monster! Cant wait to see your new build when it gets going.

OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for wait times, you're probably looking at anywhere from 3-12 months... this is why Tank Me USA's quote form is currently closed as there backlog is longer than they feel there customers should wait.
+1. Most manufacturers would not do rimless at that size, or went with 1” thick glass at a crazy price. I hated euro bracing, but it is almost required at that size.

And I did a cardboard mock up too!! To see how it would look. Also consider moving it. Both now when you get it initially set up, and the future, if you ever have to move it again.

Im going to try a cardboard mockup, thats a great idea. And i'm seriously considering going eurobraced, I'm going to have a screen top anyway so having that kinda kills the rimless ascetic anyway

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun! Sounds like you will have an assume tank! I recently went through similar. I went with GlassCages because I could not afford the 4 manufactures listed above (GC was almost half the cost).

I did attempt to get quotes from who you listed (plus a few more). Expensive and some had a 1 year wait (some not taking new orders).

But all great manufacturers, and you’ll get what you pay for (and be happy in the end).

Mine is 72x30. I wanted 36, but worried about getting it through doorways easy. Mine I use Hydra 32 (4 of them) on a rail.

30” wide is hard to reach back wall, and ended up sitting out from wall far enough. 36” wide may have been to much (but on paper sounded nice).

Flow I used dual returns (Varios 8); probably over did it. They run at setting 1 with good flow.

You’ll get great advice here. Enjoy!!

0525F42B-246A-4B11-BD1F-E02C6F1E6F39.jpeg 6BFF72CD-5961-47AB-A6DC-FD2FC5B82A54.jpeg 80DF4E8B-214C-47C0-80F7-6B5F16C244E3.jpeg BEC8D30B-71CE-4325-BA72-DCF688D0CB37.jpeg 2A3843B7-C53A-4893-BC95-16561508D393.jpeg 4B145A8A-77A9-45AA-9B3B-D9F9A78E1F18.jpeg
Thanks @dreamcatcherr9. Your tank looks fantastic.

@Rhoads238, you have so many options. Looking forward to seeing how your journey shapes up!

OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have been continuing to plan the build. I am looking changing the dimensions to 80x32x24, possibly to 27" deep which would put the tank to 300 gallons. I previously had a 60 gallon cube which was 24x24x24 and I never had a problem reaching anything, so I'm wondering if you all will think going the extra three inches taller will make much of a difference for working on it.

Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I wanted to bump this thread to get some thoughts on a taller tank. I'm still on the fence if i should make the tank a little taller. Im wondering about going up to 27" high to possibly 30" high. Any of you have a taller tank that would like to chime in about how that effects maintenance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could tell you my thoughts but I have never had a tank that deep, I hated my 22" deep tank so I can't even imagine 30" lol

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I wanted to bump this thread to get some thoughts on a taller tank. I'm still on the fence if i should make the tank a little taller. Im wondering about going up to 27" high to possibly 30" high. Any of you have a taller tank that would like to chime in about how that effects maintenance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have a 72lx36wx30h tank from customaquariums.com I really enjoy the tank but man that 30" is real hard for me to reach. However I would not trade the height for something lower, I really like like the presentation in the wall of it being taller.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to have a 30" tank, unless your primary goal is SPS. But if you want a nice-looking shape for a mixed tank, nothing beats the look of a deep tank IMO. My 500 was 48" deep with 44" of water. That was difficult to work in but I managed (with tongs and sometimes hanging over the side with a mask!). But 30" shouldn't be a problem.
You could frame out the size of the tank with PVC pipes to see what it would be like.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is stand you are thinking about? I went with a 36” tall to have easier access to sump under / in stand. Size of stand and size of tank together should be considered. Mine is 60” tall total. I’m 6’ and need the step ladder to access easier. I don’t like looking down at my tank when standing in front of, so the 36” stand and 24” tall tank worked out good.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following thread. Have a tentative quote out for a 66x36x24. Good point on stand height. I was thinking either 36" or 40" myself just to be able to look directly at the tank standing.

OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is stand you are thinking about? I went with a 36” tall to have easier access to sump under / in stand. Size of stand and size of tank together should be considered. Mine is 60” tall total. I’m 6’ and need the step ladder to access easier. I don’t like looking down at my tank when standing in front of, so the 36” stand and 24” tall tank worked out good.
Following thread. Have a tentative quote out for a 66x36x24. Good point on stand height. I was thinking either 36" or 40" myself just to be able to look directly at the tank standing.

The stand comes 36 or 41". I know I wouldn't go taller than 36" I think most of the time I would be sitting down looking at the tank. I'm wondering if 36 would be too high but I'm afraid that the stand will be difficult to work under. It's a steel stand and will have removable panels instead of doors.

I wouldn't hesitate to have a 30" tank, unless your primary goal is SPS. But if you want a nice-looking shape for a mixed tank, nothing beats the look of a deep tank IMO. My 500 was 48" deep with 44" of water. That was difficult to work in but I managed (with tongs and sometimes hanging over the side with a mask!). But 30" shouldn't be a problem.
You could frame out the size of the tank with PVC pipes to see what it would be like.

I think I'm going to have to try making a pvc mockup. Thats a good idea

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't offer you much practical advice on height, since I just ordered my 66x30x24 tank with a 40" stand from Planet about two weeks ago, and this will be my first big tank. What I will add is that the PVC mockup was CRITICAL for my wife and I as we contemplated tank length
IMG_20200921_154736.jpg
, tank height, stand height, etc. You can see where the white couplers are, and we added and removed the 6" sections of PVC until we could make a decision. It was WELL WORTH the time/money to mock it up!!

OP
OP
Rhoads238

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't offer you much practical advice on height, since I just ordered my 66x30x24 tank with a 40" stand from Planet about two weeks ago, and this will be my first big tank. What I will add is that the PVC mockup was CRITICAL for my wife and I as we contemplated tank length
IMG_20200921_154736.jpg
, tank height, stand height, etc. You can see where the white couplers are, and we added and removed the 6" sections of PVC until we could make a decision. It was WELL WORTH the time/money to mock it up!!

Congrats on the new build! looks like its going to be awesome. What other manufacturers did you look at and what made you decide to go with Planet?

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new build! looks like its going to be awesome. What other manufacturers did you look at and what made you decide to go with Planet?
I read a LOT of threads on here. There are a number of good custom manufacturers. In the end, I had it narrowed down to Miracles and Planet. Both had OUTSTANDING reviews by hobbyists that owned them, reasonably similar in prices, etc. In the end, I choose to support American-made, and that was the only way I could break the tie.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back