Custom tank

Ronisreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to see if anyone near Charleston South Carolina builds custom tanks
I’m looking to build a 72x32/36x16 with an external overflow
The external overflow I’m looking to design is different then what we normally see and wondering if my idea is possible
I want the entire tank to be glass with clear silicone and no plumbing visible (will be hidden by rock scape )
I’m wondering if it’s possible to cut the top panel of the glass and inch lower then the aquarium height for a certain length toward the left side of the tank and then have the top of the weir behind that cut the same height as the tank and instead of having teeth on the tanks back panel have it laying under the in the under the overflow horizontally inside the weir like you would see is a sump as filter sock silencers
The weir would act as a herbie or bean animal style but also have the return coming through so everything could be in the same place
Please let me know if I’ve explained myself correctly and if this would even be possible and if not why
Also Is it possible to building a tank of this size without bracing and if so what thickness would the glass need to be

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to see if anyone near Charleston South Carolina builds custom tanks
I’m looking to build a 72x32/36x16 with an external overflow
The external overflow I’m looking to design is different then what we normally see and wondering if my idea is possible
I want the entire tank to be glass with clear silicone and no plumbing visible (will be hidden by rock scape )
I’m wondering if it’s possible to cut the top panel of the glass and inch lower then the aquarium height for a certain length toward the left side of the tank and then have the top of the weir behind that cut the same height as the tank and instead of having teeth on the tanks back panel have it laying under the in the under the overflow horizontally inside the weir like you would see is a sump as filter sock silencers
The weir would act as a herbie or bean animal style but also have the return coming through so everything could be in the same place
Please let me know if I’ve explained myself correctly and if this would even be possible and if not why
Also Is it possible to building a tank of this size without bracing and if so what thickness would the glass need to be
@Joe Glass Cages may be able to assist. They are located in middle Tn, so while not close, not too far away.

Upvote 0

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teeth on weirs keep snails and fish from going into the overflow. If you do away with the teeth and instead use a smooth entry point into the overflow you will have a LOT of things going down into your sump where they will potentially die depending on how your sump is setup and at best, will need to be caught and returned to the tank. This will be a never ending cycle (they will not learn not to go there).

Upvote 0

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ronisreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the mention @Eagle_Steve

@Ronisreef sounds like a neat idea. Do you happen to have a drawing? make sure I am interpreting your request correctly. Thanks so much.

38D0CA19-3600-43F2-B21D-7A3604EF71F9.jpeg DB5DF640-C3F2-45E0-9D41-6B5BC58FB126.jpeg @joe glass cages

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back