Cyano or Dino’s

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’ve been facing some cyano recently, seems pretty persistent and grows on my sand and rock. I just finished a flux treatment, and it started to appear in the end of my week 3 of treatment. It doesn’t hold any oxygen bubbles like Dino’s seems to typically, just grows over sand and rock like a blanket, and has these long stringy parts of it that flow off it (still no oxygen bubbles).

I’ve been doing water changes to combat it, turkey basting it into the water, and sucking most out. But it tends to regrow fairly quick, and it tends to thin out at night, and come back strong at lights on.

Does this look/sound like cyano, or Dino’s? Very red colour as well, not brown at all.

Phos 0.07-0.12 most days
Nitrate around 10-15ish
Higher nutrients since my tank is softies only now.

IMG_8122.jpeg IMG_8125.jpeg IMG_8121.jpeg IMG_8123.jpeg IMG_8124.jpeg IMG_8119.jpeg IMG_8112.jpeg
Hello, I had the same problem! I completed got rid of mine!

I had a black out for 2 days, covered the tank with towels. Soft corals should be fine, but maybe not if you have others. Cyano needs light to live so cutting that out should kill it.

After the black out, I syphoned as much as I could out with a 20-25% water change. I also changed my biopellets in my reactor and it cleaned the rest up within a day!

Hope this helps

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I had the same problem! I completed got rid of mine!

I had a black out for 2 days, covered the tank with towels. Soft corals should be fine, but maybe not if you have others. Cyano needs light to live so cutting that out should kill it.

After the black out, I syphoned as much as I could out with a 20-25% water change. I also changed my biopellets in my reactor and it cleaned the rest up within a day!

Hope this helps
Glad to hear you had success with it! I did a few blackouts, but ultimately manual removal, combined with waterchanges helped the most. I also added a skimmer, and started dosing phyto, both of which I believe helped significantly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back