Cyano question

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newly cycled 96 gallon tank that is being stocked with mostly dry rock, some live rock, and a few liters of siporax. I plan on stocking the tank with a few choice pieces from my 40 gallon AIO tank. The issue is the 40 gallon has a bit of green cyano in a few spots that receive lower water flow. One of those happens to also affect a small island rock that has a beautiful acan colony growing on it. I'd like to move this rock into the new display but should I be concerned that I will be introducing cyano? Please share your thoughts.

Best,

Chris

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s thought that most cyanos are present in most all tanks.
It’s just that from time to time the conditions are just right to cause a bloom.

You could dip and scrub the Rock in old tank water and light peroxide to reduce the population that goes into the tank.

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the coral. Shake/Blow off what you can. Cyano will most likely show up in larger tank anyway. Don't worry about a little Cyanobacteria

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just that from time to time the conditions are just right to cause a bloom.

Yes right now the conditions in the new tank are probably not likely to cause a bloom. But I think I will do what I can to scrub off the bacteria.

You could dip and scrub the Rock in old tank water and light peroxide to reduce the population that goes into the tank.
Add the coral. Shake/Blow off what you can. Cyano will most likely show up in larger tank anyway. Don't worry about a little Cyanobacteria

Yes - sounds like a plan. I also thought about dosing the 40 gallon tank for a week or so with some MB7 to see if I can get the good bacteria to out compete the cyano.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes, it's always present. For reasons we do not know, it will come out of the water column and mat up. it does appear to occur with high nutrients, but there are plenty if high nutrient tanks that don't have it matted up, so go figure. It can be more resourceful at getting nitrogen from sources other than nitrates when no nitrates are present with a smidgen of PO4 is present out competing corals - thus we see it occurring when carbon dosing strips a tank of NO3 but not PO4.

I battled cyano for a few years, what worked was focusing on coral health. my corals are better off by letting my NO3 and PO4 rise a bit and adding another powerhead to increase flow.

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - sounds like a plan. I also thought about dosing the 40 gallon tank for a week or so with some MB7 to see if I can get the good bacteria to out compete the cyano.

Brightwell microbacter? Can't hurt. Maybe with water changes.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, it's always present. For reasons we do not know, it will come out of the water column and mat up. it does appear to occur with high nutrients, but there are plenty if high nutrient tanks that don't have it matted up, so go figure. It can be more resourceful at getting nitrogen from sources other than nitrates when no nitrates are present with a smidgen of PO4 is present out competing corals - thus we see it occurring when carbon dosing strips a tank of NO3 but not PO4.

I battled cyano for a few years, what worked was focusing on coral health. my corals are better off by letting my NO3 and PO4 rise a bit and adding another powerhead to increase flow.

Yes the flow is definitely part of the issue. It only appears in the are of the tank with low flow. My issue is I am breaking this tank down and actually need to remove the MP10s at some point for the future tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sun sun 500ghp wave makers are about $16 for two of them If that helps. A lot more power there than 500,till 4months later and it was a lot less than 500, lol.

I had the green cyano for a while , it’s an odd critter. Just phased out of the tank eventually.
I Never really changed much.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have had this green version of cyano for a really long time. Other than how it looks it hasn't really affected anything and its only on about 15% of the tank. I have been using Tunze Nanostream pumps (about $30) to supplement but I'll check the sun sun pumps out as well.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have had this green version of cyano for a really long time. Other than how it looks it hasn't really affected anything and its only on about 15% of the tank. I have been using Tunze Nanostream pumps (about $30) to supplement but I'll check the sun sun pumps out as well.
Mine came and went for about (???lol) 18 months so. Weird stuff.

A fwiw, I prefer dr Tim’s one and only. It’s multipe strains of bacteria.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came and went for about (???lol) 18 months so. Weird stuff.

A fwiw, I prefer dr Tim’s one and only. It’s multipe strains of bacteria.

I used Dr. Tims on my 96 gallon to help seed the dry rock. But my local LFS only has the MB7 so I thought I'd give it a go. It could be my imagination, but the 40 looks slightly better after a single dose last night.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr. Tims on my 96 gallon to help seed the dry rock. But my local LFS only has the MB7 so I thought I'd give it a go. It could be my imagination, but the 40 looks slightly better after a single dose last night.
very good to hear. If it’s working , keep at it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back