Cyanobactera! (Discussion)

Palytoxin

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Messages
28
Reaction score
53
Location
Boca Raton
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does Cyanobacteria get such a bad rap? I haven't dealt with it personally. From what I read it creates Cyanotoxins, steals oxygen, which in itself is bad. But people make it seem like it's the biggest nightmare of their lives!

I've heard it can be caused by a multitude of reasons, ranging from high phosphates, silicates, high nitrates, all the way to just not enough flow.

Is it possible at all for cyanobacteria to be a not so bad thing or even a positive thing? Such as inside of a sump or refugium if you can somehow harvest it?
 
Why does Cyanobacteria get such a bad rap? I haven't dealt with it personally. From what I read it creates Cyanotoxins, steals oxygen, which in itself is bad. But people make it seem like it's the biggest nightmare of their lives!

I've heard it can be caused by a multitude of reasons, ranging from high phosphates, silicates, high nitrates, all the way to just not enough flow.

Is it possible at all for cyanobacteria to be a not so bad thing or even a positive thing? Such as inside of a sump or refugium if you can somehow harvest it?
First of all it’s unsightly. Second, it can cover and smother corals. I’ve seen some tanks that are just covered in it. Zoas usually don’t care as well as other corals. Basically will outcompete all of the good bacteria in your rocks and sand. If confined to small patches, it’s mostly harmless but left unchecked and you won’t want it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new