Cycle not lowering ammonia levels.

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on lowering ammonia in my 30 Gal tank with one Clownfish. Two months ago I tried a fishless cycle with live rock. All my levels were low, ammonia was at zero and nitrate levels were there, but not high. I thought it was cycled and added the clownfish. A month later ammonia spiked to toxic levels and I was told to use Dr. Tim's continue the cycle that was never completed and it was causing the spiked ammonia. I shut off all the filters and let it sit for 48 hours. The ammonia hasn't lowered at all and nitrate levels seem to be really low as if the bacteria is low.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more info might help. How big is the tank? How much live rock was used? What filters did you shut off? Did something die in the tank? Etc.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more info might help. How big is the tank? How much live rock was used? What filters did you shut off? Did something die in the tank? Etc.
30 gallon tank, two live rocks, I shut off a fluval skimmer and a quiet flow aqueon filter. A banded coral shrimp did die a month ago. I didn't know it was a 6 month minimum add. Made me realize I need to ask about anything before buying.

Let me know if you need any more info.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When that happened I did two 20% water changes over the course of two weeks. I haven't done any since due to a growth of dino algae. I was told it grows well in new clean water and to hold off on those until it goes away.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When that happened I did two 20% water changes over the course of two weeks. I haven't done any since due to a growth of dino algae. I was told it grows well in new clean water and to hold off on those until it goes away.
You can't grow algae unless the tank is cycled. Not sure why you turned off filtration in the first place. You want bacteria in your filtration flow.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't grow algae unless the tank is cycled. Not sure why you turned off filtration in the first place. You want bacteria in your filtration flow.
It said on the Dr. Tims bottle to shut off skimmer and remover filter sock.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually that is only for one hour to allow the bacteria to settle and not be filtered out by the skimmer.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a couple big water changes until ammonia goes down, assuming it is correct. What test kit do you use?
The Fluval master test kit and I didn't know it only needed one hour. I was just following the bottles instructions. Should I do anything other than the big water changes?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just took the cup off my new skimmer and let it run. Filter sock fine. I thought you had turned off the whole filtration via the return pump which was confusing to me.

Can you post a pic of algae under white light?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
important:

take no action

post a tank pic

you can't have ammonia issues in a 2 mo old tank stocked with fish and reef rock. you can't

this is a misread

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post the actual pic of your ammonia test kit

we take that pic, which is nh4, and convert it to nh3, which is never zero in a stocked tank, and your test outcome aligns with a good cycle not a broken one

need a pic of the tank and a pic of your test for ammonia as it reads now.

this is also proof that old cycling science falsely sells bottle bacteria to the masses unfairly.

the #1 signal that a false cycling post is underway is no tank losses are mentioned in the title, just a non digital test kit causing the alarm/ and old cycling rules that would ever let someone doubt an eight week cycle after using one-day bottle bac. a truly broken cycle can't handle your fish and feed everyday that it handles

pics likely to be: clear water, normal fish distro vs laying around or floating in distress, rocks will be normal mid-tank and flow is normal and there's no reason for this cycle to be deemed broken since the tank carries life very well.

I think a pic of the tank will show these details along with other benthic markers like algae or cyano common in a new tank and also visual proof of a completed ammonia cycle.

when you can see algae, or haze on the glass as routine cleaning needs, that's proof of full ammonia control even though the updated rules for cycling haven't been formally published, yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just took the cup off my new skimmer and let it run. Filter sock fine. I thought you had turned off the whole filtration via the return pump which was confusing to me.

Can you post a pic of algae under white light?
It was a lot more brownish red last week, but I shut the light off for a while because I was told that it grows from the tank light.

Attachments

• 16661930653905937015858001756612.jpg
    16661930653905937015858001756612.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 60

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots to digest... Two months ago you started a new tank with a Fluval skimmer and an Aqueon hang on the back filter... added two pieces of live rock (of unknown size and source, and we don't know if there is any other substrate)... all was well... a month later ammonia spiked (we don't know the actual extent of the spike and a fish and a shrimp had been added at some point)... you changed about 12 gallons of water, added Dr. Tim's, and turned off your filtration... at some point, something you believe to be Dinos started... We don't know if the filters have been turned back on or if what you think is Dinos are still a problem.

So, fill in the blanks:
The live rock I added weighed _________ lbs.
I got the live rock from __________.
The other substrate in the tank consists of _________________.
The ammonia spiked to about ___________ ppm.
The ammonia level today is__________ ppm.

You should turn your filters back on. How does the Clownfish look? I looked at your picture. That is Diatoms not Dinos. Absolutely expected in a new tank. It will pass. Those rocks in the picture are not the live rock are they?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a lot more brownish red last week, but I shut the light off for a while because I was told that it grows from the tank light.
Most likely just new tank diatoms which is normal once the lights come on. They typically go away on their own in a few weeks once the silicate in rocks and sand is used up.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, that's a common dry rock cycle where all the uglies will come and go

we know you're cycled because you have been able to feed the tank over sixty times and it not crash

can u do one more pic, standing back further to show the whole layout.

*isn't it cool that updated cycling science just stopped your purchases, any fear at all about your cycle, any re-testing, we don't need you to test for ammonia or nitrite ever again on this tank. I don't own those kits, yet I cycle a thousand reef tanks a year online/results avail for the clicking.

fish disease prevention, that's where we're at.

there is no more concern nor questions to assess about your cycle, we're done cycling, it's why your fish are alive currently.

the reason I don't need any details / just pics/ is because we know you can't reef with fish and feed them sixty times in an uncycled tank. you never got one iota of doubt from updated cycling science; there isn't anything to verify.

since you're in a reef forum we knew you stacked a few rocks in center tank flow; that's all it takes to handle ammonia just fine as you're doing.

depending on discovery questions in the cycle breakdown implies there are examples of a two-month broken cycle after carrying fish + feeding, there aren't any.

have you read Jay's disease forum for quarantine and fallowing/ very very required in dry rock startups once you get beyond two clowns as the fish.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon tank, two live rocks, I shut off a fluval skimmer and a quiet flow aqueon filter. A banded coral shrimp did die a month ago. I didn't know it was a 6 month minimum add. Made me realize I need to ask about anything before buying.

Let me know if you need any more info.
did you add any dry rock with your 2 live rocks? gonna need more than 2 rocks in the tank.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read it, but I will do so today. Let me know if you need any more information.

Attachments

• 16661941307936321648249096988726.jpg
    16661941307936321648249096988726.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 58

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back