Cycle not lowering ammonia levels.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a variety or resources to look at. Just randomly choosing this one states that algae growth is limited by the availability of nitrate and phosphate. So they need nutrients in the water column not storing them for a rainy day. Algae can store energy and stuff like carbs but not primary nutrients from the sites I have looked at.

Algae do not store nitrogen that can be accessed for further growth. However, it does bind nitrogen in its biomass that can be released when it decays. I think actually releases organic carbon as part of the photosynthesis process rather than storing it. It needs a source of nitrogen... but that does not mean it has to be nitrate. Ammonia would be used first.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limited doesn't mean it can't store it. Can you find the exact line? There isn't a species on earth that has no environmental/dietary limits to population growth.

Since you mentioned phytoplankton;

"Thus, large phytoplankton, such as diatoms and dinoflagellates, have a greater capacity for energy storage when compared with small cyanobacterial phytoplankton, such as Prochlorococcus and Synechococcus12."
It's right in my prior link posted Sir. I am moving on from this topic but leave you with this thought. If the algae in our reefs can store all the nutrients they need for growth then it makes no sense to limit nutrients in our tanks when battling algae problems right? If we bottom out dinos. If we have to much then GHA but according to your theory both can sustain themselves with stored nutrients so we are stuck no matter what with problem algae. Energy storage is different then nutrients storage in your phytoplankton reference too.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's right in my prior link posted Sir. I am moving on from this topic but leave you with this thought. If the algae in our reefs can store all the nutrients they need for growth then it makes no sense to limit nutrients in our tanks when battling algae problems right? If we bottom out dinos. If we have to much then GHA but according to your theory both can sustain themselves with stored nutrients so we are stuck no matter what with problem algae. Energy storage is different then nutrients storage in your phytoplankton reference too.

I'm not providing a "theory" lol. I literally just gave you articles to read on the storage of nitrogen and phosphorus within algae. I am also asking you to find the exact point in the article rather than having to make everyone scavenge for it. Also, a question isn't an answer. You also don't seem to understand how energy storage works. It is stored for usage in situations where there is not a readily available source of it. This doesn't mean its unlimited. Also lipids are a form of nitrogen storage, just in case you didn't know. Same with ATP being a storage for phosphate.

Funny enough, the quote that I originally had was the wrong one as for some reason I couldn't copy the one I wanted from the article lol. It would just paste the one you saw and I didn't notice. The correct one is up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not providing a "theory" lol. I literally just gave you articles to read on the storage of nitrogen and phosphorus within algae. I am also asking you to find the exact point in the article rather than having to make everyone scavenge for it. Also, a question isn't an answer. You also don't seem to understand how energy storage works. It is stored for usage in situations where there is not a readily available source of it. This doesn't mean its unlimited. Also lipids are a form of nitrogen storage, just in case you didn't know. Same with ATP being a storage for phosphate.

Funny enough, the quote that I originally had was the wrong one as for some reason I couldn't copy the one I wanted from the article lol. It would just paste the one you saw and I didn't notice. The correct one is up.
Unfortunately if you have not read the 3 links I've already posted its not worth expending further time here....keep on reefin

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back