OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some updated pics from today of the blue, black and mimic tang as well as some of the other fish and corals. Yellow tang is normal color today. He must have been transition due to lights getting ready to turn off. I had never seen him that white, but the lights were within half hour of turning off last night and were dimming, so, he probably was switching colors for bed.
PXL_20230901_173259509.MP.jpg

PXL_20230901_173348935.jpg

PXL_20230901_173351038.jpg

Mimic tang resting in GSP. I noticed he's being chased more by the blue tang.
PXL_20230901_174219987.MP.jpg

PXL_20230901_180117265.jpg
PXL_20230901_180114364.jpg

PXL_20230901_180126220.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for the clarification. Unfortunately my aquarium was doomed from the start. I reused some equipment that had been in cold dry storage for 2 years. when I started my new 340 gallon. The equipment was in a storage unit, but temps got to -40 degrees outside. I didn't think anything of it, and reused my skimmer, some powerheads, and heaters.

I taken 3-5 months to ensure everything was running smoothly, cycled and ready to go for fish. Then started adding a few per week. My black tang had been stored at the LFS for 2 years until I could get the new tank setup. I took him back and was up to 15 fish, when like now, fish started dieing randomly. One day 1 fish would die, then 5-6 days later 2 died, then a few days later 3 more. And the deaths kept increasing, the final days were when a batch of cardinals all had popeye at the same time, then a powder blue tang erupted with raised nodules all over its body, then anthias had purple burn marks on them. My corals grew faster than ever. I had LPS and SPS that tripled in size in a month.

I talked to the owner of the LFS and he said, you know what, google electrified grates in the Atlantic ocean to repopulate reefs. I Searched it and discovered that it was scientifically proven that electrified metal cages were used to rapidly regrow dieing reefs.

He said get a volt meter or do it the old fashioned way and ground yourself and stick your hand in the sump. I Had had my hands in the tank many times never was shocked. He said, of course not, if you're not grounded you're not going to feel anything. So, I touched something I thought was grounded, my furnaces aluminum ventwork. And stuck my hand in the sump, my hair stood up on my head. I felt a slow vibration through my nerves. I wasn't sure if I imagined it, but, I turned everything off and did it again and felt nothing, then I turned things on one at at time and discovered one of my two heaters, when they were heating was electrifying the sump and the display.

Just to see the impact, I turned everything off and watched my last two remaining fish that were still alive and they seemed so much more at peace. I went back and turned the heater back on and went and watched the fish. My black tang, I kid you not, swam in circles repeatedly only making left turns. I went and turned the heater off and he swam normally.

I had a large fox face that survived the shocks as well, but he later jumped out. He went a bit crazy. I was so devastated that to save a couple hundred dollars I had destroyed several hundreds of dollars of life. I nearly gave up then too.

I left the tank with one fish in it, the black tang for about 8 months. No other infections, diseases, no signs of ich, nothing emerged. The fish swam and lived healthily and normally until now 6 years later. I bought brand new finnex heaters. Have had the same two heaters in there since then. I'm starting to wonder if they've reached the end of their life and causing this again the symptoms are very similar.

I'll get picks of the mimic tang.
What you’re describing isn’t stray voltage, it’s an electrical short. That can be very dangerous - replace the defective equipment and make sure all aquarium equipment is plugged into GFIs.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some updated pics from today of the blue, black and mimic tang as well as some of the other fish and corals. Yellow tang is normal color today. He must have been transition due to lights getting ready to turn off. I had never seen him that white, but the lights were within half hour of turning off last night and were dimming, so, he probably was switching colors for bed.
PXL_20230901_173259509.MP.jpg

PXL_20230901_173348935.jpg

PXL_20230901_173351038.jpg

Mimic tang resting in GSP. I noticed he's being chased more by the blue tang.
PXL_20230901_174219987.MP.jpg

PXL_20230901_180117265.jpg
PXL_20230901_180114364.jpg

PXL_20230901_180126220.jpg
Hmmm, I’m still just seeing ich on the blue tang. Mucus plugs wound be larger and confined to the body, like how the black tang looks.

There are limits to visual diagnoses - a quick skin scrape and a look under a microscope would confirm ich or not..

Jay

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update! Black Tangs skin is completely clear. If anything his black sheen is nicer and prettier than it was. The healing from the mucus plugs is really nice. The single cloudy eye has reduced in size and appears to be clearing up. The blue tang had many abraisions yesterday from I can only assume ich releasing from the skin. However, there's a lot of white hanging from it's body this morning. Both tangs are still eating and swimming well. The Blue tang likes hanging out in front of my strongest MP40. Swimming into the current. (Which he has always done since I got him.)

No other losses or infections have occurred.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im excited to get a large uv setup on this system. I'm thinking of using the apex 2 inch flow meter and gate valve with y PVC to branch my 1.5 inch return PVC to the uv a gate valve on the UV pipe and flow meter to reduce flow through the UV to 1300 gph and have the UV treated water flow back into my return line. At 1300 gph an hour the would run my entire 340 gallons through the UV 4x per hour with a 120 watt lifeguard UV. Going the largest I can get. Would that be sufficient to irradiate ich, uranema, brook, bacterial plugs, flukes, and velvet over time if I run the light 24 x 7? Not as full proof as copper etc. But over time would have the same effect by eliminating the ability for parasites to reproduce correct after 90-100 days all the states of ich should have been treated by the UV?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back