Cycle question

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set up a nuvo 10 about 2 weeks ago, I now have lots of brown algae everywhere, I tested the nitrate nitrite and ammonia and all are saying 0. Does this mean I'm done my cycle? Or has it yet to start? I'm unfamiliar with cycling because on my last tank I used bio spira and didn't have a cycle or a noticeable one that is.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i set up a nuvo 10 about 2 weeks ago, I now have lots of brown algae everywhere, I tested the nitrate nitrite and ammonia and all are saying 0. Does this mean I'm done my cycle? Or has it yet to start? I'm unfamiliar with cycling because on my last tank I used bio spira and didn't have a cycle or a noticeable one that is.
If your nitrate is 0ppm it is possible your cycle hasn't started. The presence of algae can mask this though so its hard to say for sure. What did you use as an ammonia source for your cycle?

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your nitrate is 0ppm it is possible your cycle hasn't started. The presence of algae can mask this though so its hard to say for sure. What did you use as an ammonia source for your cycle?
I used a few freeze dried shrimp that I had on hand as fish food, I was originally going to go with a shrimp from the grocery store but then I read that that would work as well, maybe it didn't work as I thought it would?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a few freeze dried shrimp that I had on hand as fish food, I was originally going to go with a shrimp from the grocery store but then I read that that would work as well, maybe it didn't work as I thought it would?
Anything that will rot can work as an ammonia source. Did you add enough that it would have been close to the same size as a store bought shrimp?

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that will rot can work as an ammonia source. Did you add enough that it would have been close to the same size as a store bought shrimp?
I was think that could be the problem, I added like 4 but they are fairly small so should I add more? Also since this algae doesn't seem to be the result of cycling will it be something I now have to battle in the tank or will it go away itself?

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever see ammonia rise?
I didn't test it that much in the last couple weeks to be honest so I couldn't be 100% sure but I tested today and everything was at 0 and I have a wicked case of brown algae so I assumed it was a result of cycling but with those test results I'm not too sure. The amount of algae just doesn't make sense to me though, if there isn't any nutrients from a cycle then how would it be supported?

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks Is a short cycle. I would bring your ammonia up with a shrimp and see how long it takes for ammonia to go away. I don't think your cycle has started.

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks Is a short cycle. I would bring your ammonia up with a shrimp and see how long it takes for ammonia to go away. I don't think your cycle has started.
So should I try to get rid of the algae? Any advice for that, it's on everything with a thick layer

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a bottle of ammonia made specifically for cycling tanks, costs 3 bucks and you don't have to wait for it to build up.
After the cycle has started you can add more and build the bacteria colonies fast.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a fairly unusual situation with having so much algae in a freshly cycled tank. Algae will process ammonia directly, so if you want to add a small fish or two, I think you are safe. Even if your bacteria aren't where you want them the algae should cover for you until the bacteria catch up. The other option would be to add a CuC and keep ghost feeding for another week or two.

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a bottle of ammonia made specifically for cycling tanks, costs 3 bucks and you don't have to wait for it to build up.
After the cycle has started you can add more and build the bacteria colonies fast.
Something like this?

IMG_1332.PNG

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a fairly unusual situation with having so much algae in a freshly cycled tank. Algae will process ammonia directly, so if you want to add a small fish or two, I think you are safe. Even if your bacteria aren't where you want them the algae should cover for you until the bacteria catch up. The other option would be to add a CuC and keep ghost feeding for another week or two.
Would I add a full CUC or just a few snails or hermits?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I add a full CUC or just a few snails or hermits?
If you have the food for them, you can add a full CuC.

And the Dr Tims ammonia chloride is great. If you do decide to use it, do it before adding a CuC (just in case that wasn't obvious).

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the food for them, you can add a full CuC.

And the Dr Tims ammonia chloride is great. If you do decide to use it, do it before adding a CuC (just in case that wasn't obvious).
So if I go the ammonia route would that eventually clear the algae I have now? I'm just concerned that now that it's there it will become an ongoing problem

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got curious and tested for phosphates and sure enough 2.0ppm, I'm thinking my dry rock might be leaching them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back