Cycle Tank Now or Later?

Start my tank cycle now and move it, or start the cycle when I have moved in a month and a half?

• Start Cycle Now

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Wait Until After Move

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving on June 1st; only about 2 hours away. I know cycling takes time to build a good bacteria population (I have some freshwater tanks). I have my first saltwater tank already. I am wondering if it would be a terrible idea to start cycling my tank now and move it on that day. Would moving it disrupt the tank following the completion of the cycle? My guess is not, since the sand bed would only be like a month and a half old, and I would only have a clean up crew at that point (so very minimal detritus). I want to do this right, so if this wouldn't affect it much, then I'll start the cycle now so I can stock it as soon as I move.

Also, if this makes sense, would I have to transfer all of the water? Or would it be fine to just move enough to keep the sand bed wet and fill the buckets containing rocks? I would also be cycling a QT tank at the same time. I have a 25 gallon display tank and a 10 gallon QT tank.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Since no one likes looking at an open tank. This would let me get a head start.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving on June 1st; only about 2 hours away. I know cycling takes time to build a good bacteria population (I have some freshwater tanks). I have my first saltwater tank already. I am wondering if it would be a terrible idea to start cycling my tank now and move it on that day. Would moving it disrupt the tank following the completion of the cycle? My guess is not, since the sand bed would only be like a month and a half old, and I would only have a clean up crew at that point (so very minimal detritus). I want to do this right, so if this wouldn't affect it much, then I'll start the cycle now so I can stock it as soon as I move.

Also, if this makes sense, would I have to transfer all of the water? Or would it be fine to just move enough to keep the sand bed wet and fill the buckets containing rocks? I would also be cycling a QT tank at the same time. I have a 25 gallon display tank and a 10 gallon QT tank.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Since no one likes looking at an open tank. This would let me get a head start.
The easiest way is probably just to cycle your rocks in a plastic bin with good flow, leave the sand out. It is fine to move a tank but a lot of hassle. Stick some bio balls in there in a mesh bag and that can be the filtration for your QT later.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way is probably just to cycle your rocks in a plastic bin with good flow, leave the sand out. It is fine to move a tank but a lot of hassle. Stick some bio balls in there in a mesh bag and that can be the filtration for your QT later.
+1

Cycle rocks and whatever other biomedia you'd like in a bin. Then when you move two hours later, just move whatever you can over. Remove as much water as you'd need.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Cycle rocks and whatever other biomedia you'd like in a bin. Then when you move two hours later, just move whatever you can over. Remove as much water as you'd need.

Is it okay to add the necessary amount of bacteria equivalent to the number of gallons I'd need later? For example, add a little over 2 oz of Dr. Tims (35 gallons equivalent) in a 10-20 gallon brute trash can? Or would the populate die off because there isn't enough water volume?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay to add the necessary amount of bacteria equivalent to the number of gallons I'd need later? For example, add a little over 2 oz of Dr. Tims (35 gallons equivalent) in a 10-20 gallon brute trash can? Or would the populate die off because there isn't enough water volume?
The biomedia is where you want your microbes to end up colonizing and be established in, so water doesn't really play a role here. Provided you have enough biomedia (rocks, sand, whatever else you'd use) in the can, then that is fine.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biomedia is where you want your microbes to end up colonizing and be established in, so water doesn't really play a role here. Provided you have enough biomedia (rocks, sand, whatever else you'd use) in the can, then that is fine.
Is biomedia in a reef tank similar in that bacteria lives on the filtration media itself as well? (chemi-pure blue, filter floss, etc.) I'm wondering if I need to buy those too. I have the rock and sand currently

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is biomedia in a reef tank similar in that bacteria lives on the filtration media itself as well? (chemi-pure blue, filter floss, etc.) I'm wondering if I need to buy those too. I have the rock and sand currently
Chemi-Pure Blue is a chemical filter medium, filter floss is a mechanical filtration medium, both and similar do not need to be included in the cycling process. I mean technically they can harbor microbes, but then again so can any physical thing so... I don't ever count them as biomedia.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi-Pure Blue is a chemical filter medium, filter floss is a mechanical filtration medium, both and similar do not need to be included in the cycling process. I mean technically they can harbor microbes, but then again so can any physical thing so... I don't ever count them as biomedia.
Cool. Thank you for the help! I’ll use this month or so to cycle my rock and sand so that my tank will be ready for fish when I move June 1st.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back