Cycling a new reef tank

nuvo626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve been cycling my tank for about 5-7 weeks i just tested my nitrites about 3-4 days ago because they were high for a while but i also tested nitrates to see if i had any in the tank and there was a high level of nitrates as well. I Just tested again today after a few days now my nitrites are at 0 so are my nitrates. i’m confused does that mean my tank is cycled or ??

i have a 20 gallon water box about 15-20 pounds of dry rocks i also used dry sand as well. It was a fishless cycle i used one and only
dr tim’s and bright we’ll micro bacter quick cycl as my ammonia.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off this isn't an emergency so I wouldn't stress. Nitrite may interfere with nitrate test results and make them look extremely high. Don't test nitrate until nitrite is gone. If nitrites are gone and you just have nitrates, then you are ready to do a big water change

OP
OP
N

nuvo626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off this isn't an emergency so I wouldn't stress. Nitrite may interfere with nitrate test results and make them look extremely high. Don't test nitrate until nitrite is gone. If nitrites are gone and you just have nitrates, then you are ready to do a big water change
nitrites are gone and nitrates are at 0 just tested both today

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back