Cycling an Aquarium

CaptainsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking about. The green on the rock? The film algae?
The green on the rock looks like a coralline algae to me. Film algae is a sign of a healthy tank. Most people need to clean the glass of their aquariums every few days. My guess is that you didn't see this earlier because you haven't added much to your system.
It's probably time to add a CuC which will help with some of the film algae but you can expect to have stuff to clean the glass and have that "crud" along the sand line for as long as you run the tank.
Yes, all of it lol. It all happened overnight. Everything was going along fine then all of a sudden the rocks are all green, the sand is green on top and brown down below (should I try to vacuum it?) and the film on the glass. I had a clean up crew of 20 snails and they all died just before this happened.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all of it lol. It all happened overnight. Everything was going along fine then all of a sudden the rocks are all green, the sand is green on top and brown down below (should I try to vacuum it?) and the film on the glass. I had a clean up crew of 20 snails and they all died just before this happened.
Is it possible your tank isn't fed enough and the snails starved? The dead snails decaying may have released the nutrients to allow stuff to grow.

CaptainsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible your tank isn't fed enough and the snails starved? The dead snails decaying may have released the nutrients to allow stuff to grow.
Yes, that's definitely possible... It makes sense. Any suggestions for what to do about the algae I have now?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's definitely possible... It makes sense. Any suggestions for what to do about the algae I have now?
Enjoy it?
I've never seen a healthy reef tank that doesn't have algae along those lines. I have to clean my glass every 3 or 4 days. I do keep around 30 hermit crabs, 2 fighting conchs, a serpent star, and 150-200 snails to help keep things under control. That is for a 187g system.

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling a tank. I can dose the ammonia up to 2 ppm and it drops to zero in about a day. I’ve done this three times over the last week.
My nitrite reading hasn’t seemed to change at all. I’m using an api test kit and nitrites are still a deep purple color.
Thoughts? Should I dose the ammonia back to 2ppm when it hits 0, should I let it sit at zero a couple days and see what the nitrites do, or should I do a sizeable change to try lowering the nitrites?

9c971c7bf23d8878181c64a068dc5a53.jpg
saturday night
6fb541bfa56df66fa19d908eeb9e5ccf.jpg
dosed back up
ca6f437b65098d59bd1e26d54f3ebe63.jpg
sunday night
56059d13a31f108ae4d0936ca7d0a1e7.jpg
monday night

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling a tank. I can dose the ammonia up to 2 ppm and it drops to zero in about a day. I’ve done this three times over the last week.
My nitrite reading hasn’t seemed to change at all. I’m using an api test kit and nitrites are still a deep purple color.
Thoughts? Should I dose the ammonia back to 2ppm when it hits 0, should I let it sit at zero a couple days and see what the nitrites do, or should I do a sizeable change to try lowering the nitrites?

9c971c7bf23d8878181c64a068dc5a53.jpg
saturday night
6fb541bfa56df66fa19d908eeb9e5ccf.jpg
dosed back up
ca6f437b65098d59bd1e26d54f3ebe63.jpg
sunday night
56059d13a31f108ae4d0936ca7d0a1e7.jpg
monday night
I would stop adding ammonia. A water change wouldn't be a bad idea. Once your nitrite gets a bit lower I feel you would be fine adding fish.

CaptainsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy it?
I've never seen a healthy reef tank that doesn't have algae along those lines. I have to clean my glass every 3 or 4 days. I do keep around 30 hermit crabs, 2 fighting conchs, a serpent star, and 150-200 snails to help keep things under control. That is for a 187g system.
Is the algae going to hurt my fish?

Jack684523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks into cycling should I do a water change or let it be until nitrites drop

Jack684523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same situation and am getting mixed answers. I’ve chosen to leave my water alone until the nitrites fall naturally due to the bacteria in the tank.
My lfs taught me how to cycle a tank wrong. I’m wrong for not doing research and listening to them but I already have 4 snails and a frogspawn and gsp in here because they reccomended me to get themI have diatom on the sand copepods everywhere growing randomly

5EBCAB97-F15D-441F-9580-98A8B82A416F.jpeg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks into cycling should I do a water change or let it be until nitrites drop
It's normally very arbitrary. You won't have any idea where your nitrates are until your nitrites go away and for me, that drives if I recommend a water change or not. Since you already have livestock in your tank, a water change won't hurt but I doubt it is needed. Nitrites are not nearly as harmful in a salt water tank as they are for fresh water. Normally, I only recommend a water change at the end of the cycle if nitrates are very high.

I’m in the same situation and am getting mixed answers. I’ve chosen to leave my water alone until the nitrites fall naturally due to the bacteria in the tank.
Mixed answers are common because there a lot of ways that will work to get you to a good end result.

My lfs taught me how to cycle a tank wrong. I’m wrong for not doing research and listening to them but I already have 4 snails and a frogspawn and gsp in here because they reccomended me to get themI have diatom on the sand copepods everywhere growing randomly
They may not have taught you wrong. They have a much better idea of where your tank is at than can be covered in a generic article. If you want another opinion on how to do it, I recommend reading this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eleven days ago I put Dr Tim’s in 120 gallon and the next day I started the cycle with 30ml of ammonia and that brought it up to 1 ppm. Ten days later I am still showing <.25 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 5 pmm nitrate. It seems like it’s going too slow after seeding the tank with recommended dose. I haven’t added more ammonia. I’ve used two different kits of ammonia. I was thinking of seeding it again. What else should I do?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eleven days ago I put Dr Tim’s in 120 gallon and the next day I started the cycle with 30ml of ammonia and that brought it up to 1 ppm. Ten days later I am still showing <.25 ppm of ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 5 pmm nitrate. It seems like it’s going too slow after seeding the tank with recommended dose. I haven’t added more ammonia. I’ve used two different kits of ammonia. I was thinking of seeding it again. What else should I do?
API test kits will commonly read 0.25ppm ammonia even when it is zero. I think those numbers look good. I would dose ammonia up to 2ppm and give it another go.

Jack684523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normally very arbitrary. You won't have any idea where your nitrates are until your nitrites go away and for me, that drives if I recommend a water change or not. Since you already have livestock in your tank, a water change won't hurt but I doubt it is needed. Nitrites are not nearly as harmful in a salt water tank as they are for fresh water. Normally, I only recommend a water change at the end of the cycle if nitrates are very high.

Mixed answers are common because there a lot of ways that will work to get you to a good end result.

They may not have taught you wrong. They have a much better idea of where your tank is at than can be covered in a generic article. If you want another opinion on how to do it, I recommend reading this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/
My nitrites and nitrates are both sky high. They’ve been the same for the last 5-6 days

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how long the algae will last? It's getting worse everyday.

IMG_20190220_070758.jpg

IMG_20190220_070738.jpg

Screenshot_20190220-103149.png
You need to add a good size CuC so that the algae will be eaten. Without that, the algae will continue to grow. You may also benefit from vacuuming out the sand. Your tank is well beyond the cycling/startup phase at this point. You are just a little behind where most people would be when it comes to stocking it.
Nice looking reef tanks take a lot of work. Your CuC can help, but they do require regular maintenance. I vacuum my sand every other week and have a large CuC. John at reefcleaners.org has a very nice selection at a reasonable price. If you reach out he will help you custom create a CuC if you would like his recommendations based on the pictures of your tank. Great guy to work with.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrites and nitrates are both sky high. They’ve been the same for the last 5-6 days
Your nitrates may not be high, you won't get a good reading if you have nitrites in your water. Nitrites tend to drop much more slowly in some systems than others. What you are seeing isn't unusual. Just give it another week or two. If you don't want to wait you can add a bottled bacteria product.

Jack684523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates may not be high, you won't get a good reading if you have nitrites in your water. Nitrites tend to drop much more slowly in some systems than others. What you are seeing isn't unusual. Just give it another week or two. If you don't want to wait you can add a bottled bacteria product.
Everybody is telling me to do a 30 percent water change to see if anything drops

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is telling me to do a 30 percent water change to see if anything drops
You can and it won't hurt anything. Not sure how helpful it will be or what it would accomplish other than removing 30% of the nitrites. It won't make the remaining 70% drop any faster.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back