OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! They have small amounts of their live rock and sand available called "treasure chests", it's a little spendy with the shipping, but it gets delivered to your doorstep.

https://tbsaltwater.com/product-category/ups-rock-sand-critters/

Or, you can have any size order delivered by air freight that you pick up near you local airport. For years, I thought I didn't want to deal with picking up an order of rocks and sand from my local airport, but I decided to try it, and it was really easy. I'd absolutely do it again.
The sand seems quite coarse. would that hurt sand-sifting fish and inverts?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand seems quite coarse. would that hurt sand-sifting fish and inverts?
It is course, it's mix of sand, small rubble and shells, and I think it looks great. I'm not an expert on sand sifting fish, so I'll let someone else answer that for sure, but I would think it's fine for them.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707236301829.png
what product is the best for setting up a brand new tank to aid in cycling?
I used Dr. Tim's one and only. If you follow the instructions, it works very well.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I used to use Bio Spira years ago, and it was inexpensive too. I had a hard time finding it recently, and had thought it went off the market, but good to know you ca still get this product.
bio-spira is still around but supply seems spotty
I got a 100ml bottle from amazon two weeks ago for $13 but today I check and it's out of stock

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank cycles my nitrates/nitrites spike right? So I did a partial water change. They will level out when this part of the cycle passes right? In theory?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank cycles my nitrates/nitrites spike right? So I did a partial water change. They will level out when this part of the cycle passes right? In theory?
Yes and no. When the "cycle is complete", your system will be able to quickly process ammonia and turn it into nitrate. Water changes are generally reserved for after the tank shows no ammonia... The bacterial colonies that reduce ammonia and nitrite need to grow to a sufficient amount. There's no "one perfect plan" for how long this will take. You may or may not ever see nitrite, and since nitrite is harmless in saltwater, many don't even test for it.
Patience is your best friend.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707236301829.png
what product is the best for setting up a brand new tank to aid in cycling?
If you want an almost instant cycled tank, you can use media from an established aquarium, but be aware, if the aquarium you've taken the media from has had any sort of bacterial, fluke's, and or velvet recently, it might get transferred on to your tank, if you ask about bottled bacteria, I've rarely used them so I don't know much about them, you can also buy live rock or live sand from brand's such as carib sea

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. When the "cycle is complete", your system will be able to quickly process ammonia and turn it into nitrate. Water changes are generally reserved for after the tank shows no ammonia... The bacterial colonies that reduce ammonia and nitrite need to grow to a sufficient amount. There's no "one perfect plan" for how long this will take. You may or may not ever see nitrite, and since nitrite is harmless in saltwater, many don't even test for it.
Patience is your best friend.
And in a new tank, once nitrate is there, it won't "level out" without good nutrient export. Most find that water changes are the easiest way to reduce nitrates.

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in a new tank, once nitrate is there, it won't "level out" without good nutrient export. Most find that water changes are the easiest way to reduce nitrates.
So should I just let it ride of for now? I guess it freaked me out cuz I never seen it spike before first time.

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading a lot on bio spira but it seems to be out of stock on most sights, any reason? Reason I’m look Is my qt tank. It seems to not be ready or I could be mistaken. My nitrates are like 67 and nitrites above .2 ammonia 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reading a lot on bio spira but it seems to be out of stock on most sights, any reason? Reason I’m look Is my qt tank. It seems to not be ready or I could be mistaken. My nitrates are like 67 and nitrites above .2 ammonia 0

Knowing nothing else but those numbers and I'd say it's safe for livestock. Assuming you had an ammonia source that now reads 0 and the presence of nitrite/nitrate suggest ammonia is being processed.

Fritzyme Turbo Start also works well in lieu of Bio-Spira.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back