cycling brand new tank

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1707236301829.png
what product is the best for setting up a brand new tank to aid in cycling?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the products in that photo are not for cycling tanks at all. There may be more, but I think the three mostly widely talked about products are Dr. Tim’s One and Only, Brightwell’s MicroBacter7, and Fritz TurboStart. These products are intended to more quickly cycle your tank. Good luck!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
rock or sand from someone elses tank.

out of bottled bacteria you have: brightwell microbacter 7, Dr. Tim's bottled bacteria, prodibio bacteria vials, PNS probio/substrate sauce. but as you are starting/cycling a new tank: you can use the fritz turbo start or microbacter dry rock kit (dead center of your picture)

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The products that work the best are bio-spira, ocean direct sand, and fritz turbo start

There is a detailed testing thread here

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the products in that photo are not for cycling tanks at all. There may be more, but I think the three mostly widely talked about products are Dr. Tim’s One and Only, Brightwell’s MicroBacter7, and Fritz TurboStart. These products are intended to more quickly cycle your tank. Good luck!
microbacter 7 or microbacter start?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
microbacter 7 or microbacter start?
I'm not sure what the difference between these two are. On first glace, it seems like they are both for getting your cycle going.

Bio-Spira
^This is what I used years ago when I was in the hobby, but couldn't find it recently, and assumed they stopped making it?

rock or sand from someone elses tank.
^This is arguably your best bet. While I think the bottled products have some value, many will tell you they are useless "snake oil". If you can find some established rock, sand, or biomedia, this is arguably the fastest/bestest way to get your cycle going.

The other thing is patients. The ammonia cycle will happen naturally over about 4-6 weeks all on its own, and it just takes a little patients on your part, which is a great skill for a reefer to have.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank dimensions, 48 wide by 18 deep by 28 high, much sand from tbs would I need? It’s 110 gallons
It sort of depends on how you look at it. The stuff is pricey for sure. You could do like 100 pounds of sand and 100+ pounds of rock, and if you can afford it, it would be spectacular, just search R2R for pics. Or, you just get a small amount, maybe 10 pounds each of their live rock and sand. Add that to your dry base rock and sand, and the TBS rock and sand would "seed" the dry stuff. I guess it kind of depends on your budget. But look into rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater, it's aquacultured in the ocean, so it comes with an incredible amount of life including the microbes that help the ammonia cycle, but also larger critters like 'pods, snails, shrimp, crabs. Some people get octopuses (though very rarely).

It's not without some drawbacks, it does introduce every organism in the ocean, which may include nuisance animals, algae, and parasites, but it's great stuff, in my opinion.

Just kind of thinking out loud here, but hypothetically, I think the best way to get a new tank going would be to order a small amount of TBS base rock, not their premium rock. I would add that base rock to my dry rock and sand in something like a Brute trash pail, and let that all "stew" together for like 3-6 months in darkness. You'd starve out anything photosynthetic, as well as most fish parasites, but keep all the beneficial microorganisms that would help the tank in the long run. Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sort of depends on how you look at it. The stuff is pricey for sure. You could do like 100 pounds of sand and 100+ pounds of rock, and if you can afford it, it would be spectacular, just search R2R for pics. Or, you just get a small amount, maybe 10 pounds each of their live rock and sand. Add that to your dry base rock and sand, and the TBS rock and sand would "seed" the dry stuff. I guess it kind of depends on your budget. But look into rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater, it's aquacultured in the ocean, so it comes with an incredible amount of life including the microbes that help the ammonia cycle, but also larger critters like 'pods, snails, shrimp, crabs. Some people get octopuses (though very rarely).

It's not without some drawbacks, it does introduce every organism in the ocean, which may include nuisance animals, algae, and parasites, but it's great stuff, in my opinion.

Just kind of thinking out loud here, but hypothetically, I think the best way to get a new tank going would be to order a small amount of TBS base rock, not their premium rock. I would add that base rock to my dry rock and sand in something like a Brute trash pail, and let that all "stew" together for like 3-6 months in darkness. You'd starve out anything photosynthetic, as well as most fish parasites, but keep all the beneficial microorganisms that would help the tank in the long run. Just my $0.02.
Could I get a few # of rock and try to do 100% sand?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I get a few # of rock and try to do 100% sand?
Absolutely! They have small amounts of their live rock and sand available called "treasure chests", it's a little spendy with the shipping, but it gets delivered to your doorstep.

https://tbsaltwater.com/product-category/ups-rock-sand-critters/

Or, you can have any size order delivered by air freight that you pick up near you local airport. For years, I thought I didn't want to deal with picking up an order of rocks and sand from my local airport, but I decided to try it, and it was really easy. I'd absolutely do it again.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. if you're going to use something from a bottle, Bio-Spira or Fritz Turbo Start are the only way to go.
Good to know! I used to use Bio Spira years ago, and it was inexpensive too. I had a hard time finding it recently, and had thought it went off the market, but good to know you ca still get this product.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! They have small amounts of their live rock and sand available called "treasure chests", it's a little spendy with the shipping, but it gets delivered to your doorstep.

https://tbsaltwater.com/product-category/ups-rock-sand-critters/

Or, you can have any size order delivered by air freight that you pick up near you local airport. For years, I thought I didn't want to deal with picking up an order of rocks and sand from my local airport, but I decided to try it, and it was really easy. I'd absolutely do it again.
Thanks! I’ll keep that noted

KochergenJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling my tank as well. I'm using the Dr Tim's one and only and ammonia chloride. Pretty easy process with the chart they have online. Only annoying part is counting out the drops of ammonia, 4 per gallon.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling my tank as well. I'm using the Dr Tim's one and only and ammonia chloride. Pretty easy process with the chart they have online. Only annoying part is counting out the drops of ammonia, 4 per gallon.
id be there for a while with 4 drops per gallon :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back