Cycling first tank with Microbacter 7. What to expect?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled my 130 with Fritz Zyme, I had never done this and had been away from the hobby a long time so I was a little anxious, but I put two 32oz bottles in the tank, two 3 plus inch tangs and tested daily for two weeks. As promised, the tank cycled and I have no ammonia readings to speak of that was roughly two weeks ago and the fish are happy.
To my surprise, this stuff works lol
I'm sure. But that stuff can't be bought here. Even Dr. Tims takes 2 weeks to get here if you're lucky. No dealers in the country carry these products, so I don't have the luxury to chose.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a lack of bacteria.
'Reliable tests' are hard to find. I believe they become unreliable fast once opened.
I'll pick one up tomorrow, and test it with a mixture of pure NH4Cl and RO to see if the test is reliable (not spot on, but reliable).

Yes in my experience ammonia tests are very frustrating.

I would not test pure RO as these tests are designed for saltwater.

You could test your tank water and freshly mixed salt water, but remember fresh salt water can have ammonia, so better to let it sit for a few days if you can.

I found it helped to use a vial of tank water next to the vial with the tested tank water to compare the colour.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes in my experience ammonia tests are very frustrating.

I would not test pure RO as these tests are designed for saltwater.

You could test your tank water and freshly mixed salt water, but remember fresh salt water can have ammonia, so better to let it sit for a few days if you can.

I found it helped to use a vial of tank water next to the vial with the tested tank water to compare the colour.
I doubt I can find a 'marine only' version.
I really just want to be sure it has a reaction to nh4, so adding nh4cl to ro water, should give a noticable color change.
After that I'll test the tank, and test again shortly after dosing ammonia (if needed ofcourse).

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lack of nitrate is a sign you have no ammonia in the tank
A quick update. Just did a nitrate test for the fun of it, and it's positive!
Not much, but definitely a slight pink.
Will check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate again tomorrow.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update. Just did a nitrate test for the fun of it, and it's positive!
Not much, but definitely a slight pink.
Will check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate again tomorrow.

Nitrate is the last to show, keep in mind, until you get a nitrite reading of zero, your nitrates will test higher than they really are.

Having some though is good news.

AgSoldier47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the microbacter start xlm and quick cycl. According to my ammonia test it was cycled and water quality good for fish with in a week. Still gave the tank some time before I placed anything in it though. Still using micro bacteria 7 and clean on a weekly/bi weekly basis.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is the last to show, keep in mind, until you get a nitrite reading of zero, your nitrates will test higher than they really are.

Having some though is good news.
At this point, I'm just looking for any signs of progress. I did a nitrite test earlier that showed 0. Could just be very low concentrations which are very hard to see.
If NH4 and NO2 are low or not detectable tomorrow I'll dose NH4 to 2 ppm, and take it from there.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I'm just looking for any signs of progress. I did a nitrite test earlier that showed 0. Could just be very low concentrations which are very hard to see.
If NH4 and NO2 are low or not detectable tomorrow I'll dose NH4 to 2 ppm, and take it from there.

probably best, just be careful to get around 2ppm, 8% ammonia sounds strong?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably best, just be careful to get around 2ppm, 8% ammonia sounds strong?
Maybe. And smells awful XD
8 ml, should get me to 1.5-2 ppm depending on rock, sand displacement. I'm just going to stay on the safe side.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. And smells awful XD
8 ml, should get me to 1.5-2 ppm depending on rock, sand displacement. I'm just going to stay on the safe side.

if using Dr Tim’s ammonia you would need around 30ml, so you may be about right with 8ml, as I’m guessing 8% is stronger than Dr Tim’s which I think is 5%?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if using Dr Tim’s ammonia you would need around 30ml, so you may be about right with 8ml, as I’m guessing 8% is stronger than Dr Tim’s which I think is 5%?
I think I've read somewhere Dr.Tims is 4 (4.6?). So yes, about twice as strong. I should use 8.8 mL to get 2 ppm without counting displacement of sand and rock, and without counting water in sump. So dosing 8 mL should result around 1.5 ppm.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I have 1.5ppm ammonia.
So just gonna sit tight and wait for it to drop.
20210104_122313.jpg

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always ghost fed the tank with flake.

Are you dosing the MB7 daily, or did you put a big glug in at the start?
Following directions, using 4 caps daily for roughly 400 liters. Skimmer and UV are turned off for about 8-10hrs. Haven't turned uv back on the last few days.

Concord Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative. Thank you.
Funny how I haven't seen a single 'starter' thread or article saying keep salinity low when cycling.
Other than that and the slow reproduction rate in saltwater, I already knew most of it.
I'm going to try get an NH4 test tomorrow, and maybe dose some NH4CL if it shows low / no concentration.
You are very welcome - I will be cycling my new build soon also - so I will be interesting to see how it all shakes out - I get the impression that the cycle will stall sometimes when there is either too much Ammonia and/or Nitrite - the conversion is - 1.1 ppm ammonia – 2.7 ppm nitrite – 3.6 ppm nitrate, so my thought is if the starting concentration of Ammonia is too high then once it is converted the nitrite level is way too high inhibiting the reproduction of the bacteria that convert Nitrite to Nitrate - I have read on here multiple places that folks have done small water changes and cycle resumed to the finish - I believe that this action reduced the nitrite ppm to a level that was not toxic and allowed the bacteria to reproduce.

I am going to test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate since I am curious.

Good Luck and as they say nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very welcome - I will be cycling my new build soon also - so I will be interesting to see how it all shakes out - I get the impression that the cycle will stall sometimes when there is either too much Ammonia and/or Nitrite - the conversion is - 1.1 ppm ammonia – 2.7 ppm nitrite – 3.6 ppm nitrate, so my thought is if the starting concentration of Ammonia is too high then once it is converted the nitrite level is way too high inhibiting the reproduction of the bacteria that convert Nitrite to Nitrate - I have read on here multiple places that folks have done small water changes and cycle resumed to the finish - I believe that this action reduced the nitrite ppm to a level that was not toxic and allowed the bacteria to reproduce.

I am going to test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate since I am curious.

Good Luck and as they say nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
Yes. Seems 5ppm or higher ammonia or nitrite inhibits the growth. Not an issue for me it seems.
I could drop the salinity a few points, but think I'll just wait it out. Patience is key, especially when starting out. I'll check ammonia again tomorrow or the day after and hopefully it's a little less green.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Seems 5ppm or higher ammonia or nitrite inhibits the growth. Not an issue for me it seems.
I could drop the salinity a few points, but think I'll just wait it out. Patience is key, especially when starting out. I'll check ammonia again tomorrow or the day after and hopefully it's a little less green.
Glad you’re willing to wait. Bodes well for the future of this tank. Good luck, and keep updating us.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you’re willing to wait. Bodes well for the future of this tank. Good luck, and keep updating us.
'Willing'? I'd rather not, but I know it will bite me in the a** for months,if I don't XD.
I got a clarisea roller filter and smaller skimmer coming soon, so I have some stuff to play with while waiting :)

Back