Cycling first tank with Microbacter 7. What to expect?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I'm on day 12 cycling with microbacter 7. Not the best or fastest bottled bacteria, but what I could get at the time (bottled bacteria isn't a thing here, so everything must be ordered internationally).
I started with some rinsed frozen food, and after finding out my ammonia test wasn't working I pulled the frozen food out (after 5 days). Some escaped into the tank.
Xmas, new year and covid19 hasn't made it easier to get a new ammonia test kit, but have tested nitrite and nitrate and both looks like zero.
So...I 'hear' a lot about not testing and just follow directions on the bac bottle and you can consider the tanked 'cycled'. I can't really see myself adding anything living to a tank, that so far hasn't shown any signs of being able to process ammonia.

Ideas?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like the system is cycling if you aren't seeing any nitrates forming yet.

But, you need an ammonia source to get the cycle going. I like to use pure ammonia and dose it up to 2ppm and then monitor testing. Other options...piece of table shrimp thrown in the tank for a few days, fish food, etc.... just something to get the bacteria producing.

Once you see nitrates, then the system is cycling.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank without any additives will cycle with a little organic source that can break down. You should see some nitrate build up after a couple weeks. It really can't be stopped assuming you're not adding any antibacterial cleaning stuff :)

So if you've added some source or ammonia - allow it to break down and build up some ammonia and the rest will take care of itself.

If the Microbacter 7 was complete inert (you mentioned shipping internationally), the system would still cycle - just add a couple weeks. Good luck!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been cycling my new rocks in garbage cans outside with Microbactor 7 for 2 months now for my 300 build. All is good had no problems with Brightwell's product.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled a QT with Microbacter 7, worked great for me. Fish went in right after setup as did the Microbacter 7. Added more everyday as directions say. All is well, this is the 2nd tank I've cycled with Microbacter 7. I also put in Microbacter Clean at same time. This really does do a good job of coating the rocks and I don't get a ulgy stage.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, you need an ammonia source to get the cycle going. I like to use pure ammonia and dose it up to 2ppm and then monitor testing. Other options...piece of table shrimp thrown in the tank for a few days, fish food, etc.... just something to get the bacteria producing.

Once you see nitrates, then the system is cycling
Yes. I know how the cycle works. I don't know what to expect from microbacter 7 or timeframe.

A tank without any additives will cycle with a little organic source that can break down. You should see some nitrate build up after a couple weeks. It really can't be stopped assuming you're not adding any antibacterial cleaning stuff :)

So if you've added some source or ammonia - allow it to break down and build up some ammonia and the rest will take care of itself.
No wierd additives.
I totally forgot I also had a couple of dead shrimps for 2 days also (wasn't sure how much 'meat' was in the frozen food).

I do have 8% ammonium chloride (NH4Cl) so can easily dose, but like to know how much ammonium is already there, if any?!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I know how the cycle works. I don't know what to expect from microbacter 7 or timeframe.

No wierd additives.
I totally forgot I also had a couple of dead shrimps for 2 days also (wasn't sure how much 'meat' was in the frozen food).

I do have 8% ammonium chloride (NH4Cl) so can easily dose, but like to know how much ammonium is already there, if any?!

You can really only tell that at first (once the bacteria start building up - and it happens quickly even if not at volumes to support fish for a week or two). And really, I don't test ammonia/nitrite anymore. The kits aren't that accurate - I may use a strip...maybe, but only because I want to DO something with a new tank. I add whatever I add for ammonia (usually liquid) - test for nitrate after a week (and I don't expect anything until week 2-3). So far, never had a tank not cycle in 30 days.

Interesting note - I tried a few additives to a tank once in the hopes of increasing biodiversity of my bacteria - ended up taking longest time to cycle. Probably competition.

Last tank...didn't use any additives - took 3 weeks and was off and running

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also cycling with microbacter 7 but I dose ammonia. It took 2 weeks to get ammonia from 2ppm to 0.

in your case since nitrate is 0 I doubt the cycle started. I have no experience with using food as ammonia source.

you really need a ammonia test kit.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really where I'm at.
I want to do SOMETHING or at least know I'm moving forward.
Maybe, I should do a test water change. Can't hurt
You need to add and test for ammonia . Water change will not help but may hurt if you already have ammonia now. For saltwater cycling tracking ammonia is one thing that matter the most.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add and test for ammonia . Water change will not help but may hurt if you already have ammonia now. F
Yes. I guess my problem at the moment is, I have no idea how much ammonia I might have.
As mentioned, I could easily dose some, but I would imagine the decaying food have already added some. How much is unknown.
What I find wierd, is that I have no readings of either nitrite or nitrate at this point (I would expect at least some nitrite).

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find the information you need in this video - Dr. Tim explains the ins and outs of cycling and the things to watch out for.

Very informative. Thank you.
Funny how I haven't seen a single 'starter' thread or article saying keep salinity low when cycling.
Other than that and the slow reproduction rate in saltwater, I already knew most of it.
I'm going to try get an NH4 test tomorrow, and maybe dose some NH4CL if it shows low / no concentration.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 90 gl tank with 60 gl sump (not sure how much water is actually in the sump)
I’m thinking you may have some ammonia in there but only a very little.

A shrimp for only 2 days is not really going to produce much ammonia, was the shrimp raw? Was it chopped up? I was told a cooked shrimp doesn’t produce much/any ammonia (seems unlikely to me though).
Also adding a little frozen food is again not going to produce much either, it takes around 3 days just for the food to start to break down.

I would chop up a raw shrimp and add that, keep it in until it starts to really break down.

Ideally you want an ammonia test kit, which you know but until you get one I would error on the side of too much ammonia than not enough.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking you may have some ammonia in there but only a very little.

A shrimp for only 2 days is not really going to produce much ammonia, was the shrimp raw? Was it chopped up? I was told a cook shrimp doesn’t produce much/any ammonia (seems unlikely to me though).
Also adding a little frozen food is again not going to produce much either, it takes around 3 days just for the food to start to break down.

I would chop up a raw shrimp and add that, keep it in until it starts to really break down.

Ideally you want an ammonia test kit, which you know but until you get one I would error on the side of too much ammonia than not enough.
Well, 'a shrimp' is truly a poor way of measuring.
I added 3-5 smaller sized ones, but removed them when I found out my testkit wasn't reliable. I do agree that the amount of food added could very well be on the low side.

Will try to find a testkit tomorrow and check.
I kinda feel in the dark right now, and wouldn't be surprised if I dosed ammonium chloride I would be left with no readings on nh4, no2 or no3 the next day. I hate the testkits available here as they have given me false readings to often...

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 'a shrimp' is truly a poor way of measuring.
I added 3-5 smaller sized ones, but removed them when I found out my testkit wasn't reliable. I do agree that the amount of food added could very well be on the low side.

Will try to find a testkit tomorrow and check.
I kinda feel in the dark right now, and wouldn't be surprised if I dosed ammonium chloride I would be left with no readings on nh4, no2 or no3 the next day. I hate the testkits available here as they have given me false readings to often...

the lack of nitrate is a sign you have no ammonia in the tank, the nitrate is directly linked to the amount of ammonia that has been processed, you can either try and find a reliable ammonia test or test for nitrate.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cycled my 130 with Fritz Zyme, I had never done this and had been away from the hobby a long time so I was a little anxious, but I put two 32oz bottles in the tank, two 3 plus inch tangs and tested daily for two weeks. As promised, the tank cycled and I have no ammonia readings to speak of that was roughly two weeks ago and the fish are happy.
To my surprise, this stuff works lol

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lack of nitrate is a sign you have no ammonia in the tank, the nitrate is directly linked to the amount of ammonia that has been processed, you can either try and find a reliable ammonia test or test for nitrate.
Could be a lack of bacteria.
'Reliable tests' are hard to find. I believe they become unreliable fast once opened.
I'll pick one up tomorrow, and test it with a mixture of pure NH4Cl and RO to see if the test is reliable (not spot on, but reliable).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back