Cycling new reef tank question

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up that cycling kit.

for that price, you are buying the top arrangement of bacteria for cycling. That plus your established biomedia sharing of bacteria along with nearly two weeks of buildup time for something rated five days. All we do is quick remove waste water I like this double bacteria they offer. It’s a solid kit, good price too.

D8860F80-D106-4AAE-A49C-4E3888645997.png

there are studies from four years before this kit that show Fritz adhering to surfaces faster than five days, they’re accurate in the timing claim.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

for that price, you are buying the top arrangement of bacteria for cycling. That plus your established biomedia sharing of bacteria along with nearly two weeks of buildup time for something rated five days. All we do is quick remove waste water I like this double bacteria they offer. It’s a solid kit, good price too.

there are studies from four years before this kit that show Fritz adhering to surfaces faster than five days, they’re accurate in the timing claim.
Also used this

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also used this
Also used this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-211218_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-211218_Chrome.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 27

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck I may buy some, my reef is lacking pods because I've rip cleaned it two hundred times

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat to see that degree of drop, for sure action is happening and the original darker level didn’t harm any filtration bacteria. There’s something about this recurring activity timeline that is so fascinating and reliable tank to tank. On or before day 10-12 action has locked filter bacteria onto rocks

a key hidden truth in cycling that only digital ammonia testers know is that when the drop happens it goes all the way to nontoxic levels.

it’s not really hovering at the 2/3rds completion level, leaving 1 ppm ammonia still left in the water…most would see the bacteria in that condition going off the Api alone

a seneye owner sees the drop to safety happen in one day when it happens, the Api will simply lag ten extra days for the next slight drop

this is what tricks everyone into thinking they have a stall. Reef tank cycles don’t stall. You have a really neat thread that can be used to make a few important points about updated cycling science. Once we wait that charted safe time your transfer is certain to work. It’d work now :) but don’t rush that much $ the safe plan is best.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat to see that degree of drop, for sure action is happening and the original darker level didn’t harm any filtration bacteria. There’s something about this recurring activity timeline that is so fascinating and reliable tank to tank. On or before day 10-12 action has locked filter bacteria onto rocks

a key hidden truth in cycling that only digital ammonia testers known is that when the drop happens it goes all the way to nontoxic levels.

it’s not really hovering at the 2/3rds completion level, leaving 1 ppm ammonia still left in the water…most would see the bacteria in that condition going off the Api alone

a seneye owner sees the drop happen in one day, the Api will simply lag ten extra days for the next slight drop, and this is what tricks everyone into thinking they have a stall. Reef tank cycles don’t stall.
Would it hurt anything to clean my filter socks or swap them out

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 100% sure you can do that without cycle harm, implantation has occurred it’s why we see that drop, the surface area amplification has kicked in

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have never thought that could rebound to yellow, truly rare set of readings for sure looking great

Maybe that's the best cycling kit on the planet lol those bacteria mixes

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure agreed that's a massive change, it's safe if you wanted to. Id still change some degree of water before so you have less algae fuel

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up here's a few pics also put all of my bio media from other tank in there just incase

Attachments

• 20220605_134848.jpg
    20220605_134848.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220605_134843.jpg
    20220605_134843.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220605_134902.jpg
    20220605_134902.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220605_134905.jpg
    20220605_134905.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 35

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice

How much water did you change

Lessons applied from New cycling science:

At no time was your cycle feared stalled even with the darkest api ammonia reading we've ever seen. High initial levels of ammonia aren't lethal as claimed.

Current cycling science says to fear a stall at 5ppm; your levels above were much higher. Your cycling kit/ mix was so efficient as to oxidize all the wastewater within two days, before the assigned start date which was a worst case example start date a few more days out. The degree of drop seen that clearly above, considering the fritz and other bottle bac added cleanly signaled ability to carry bioload and that is currently underway.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice

At no time was your cycle feared stalled even with the darkest api ammonia reading we've ever seen. High initial levels of ammonia aren't lethal as claimed.

Current cycling science says to fear a stall at 5ppm; your levels above were much higher. Your cycling kit/ mix was so efficient as to oxidize all the wastewater within two days, before the assigned start date which was a worst case example start date a few more days out. The degree of drop seen that clearly above, considering the fritz and other bottle bac added cleanly signaled ability to carry bioload and that is currently underway.
I changed about 12 gallons this morning

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice

Very nice

Wonder if should start dosing po4 and no3 if needed or to soon?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too soon in my opinion. no more dosing of bacteria is needed, or helpful for the life of the tank past now.

cycle is all fixed and set. the clean water holding while in the presence of bioload is the final marker. really good job, you did a cloudless tank transfer it seems, going from pics above. perfection

now it's just a running reef. I recommend don't adjust po4 or nitrate until the tank has a problem, do simple feed and water changes and nothing will be a problem

I never measure nor react to those two parameters.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
helpful for the future: at any time api can get darker, and it will get lighter over days, ammonia levels range in thousandths ppm nh3 in nature

this specifically does not mean your cycle is fluctuating and you should respond by adding anything. api will take longer to show a reading than a digital kit would show/resolved in minutes no need for action from our part. heavy feeding events may cause it, death of a small animal which harms nothing in the tank at all.

clean water + clean feed circulating is what corals want now, they dont want guess responses to non digital test kits. if you cease testing ammonia for the life of this tank and go solely off visuals as to if your ammonia is controlled you will never doubt the cycle of this tank ever again as long as it runs.

the only thing that can drive up ammonia now is if all the fish die from a disease and are left to rot in the tank. ammonia rising will never precede a fish loss, it will come only after. the ammonia control from here on out is locked in, and any flux noted is part of normal + - cycles in nh3 ranges common to stocked reef tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back