cycling question

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so ik this has been asked a lot and i need this cleared up for me.

ok so i have a shrimp i’m my tank for almmonia am i supposed to let it rot till it hits 3 ppm almmonia.

my question is though can it just be two ppm because my test kit only tested up to two parts.

and just to clarify i’m supposed to wait after that till my tank has zero almmonia and zero nitrates right.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 is fine. Once you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite you are ok and you can slowly add fish. I personally add a second bottle of cycling bacteria when the first fish arrives. It is also not a bad idea to do a water change before your first fish, or add some scavenging bacteria to eat whatever waste of the shrimp may be laying around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 is fine. Once you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite you are ok and you can slowly add fish. I personally add a second bottle of cycling bacteria when the first fish arrives. It is also not a bad idea to do a water change before your first fish, or add some scavenging bacteria to eat whatever waste of the shrimp may be laying around.
oh ok thanks for the help and i’m only planning on adding a pygmy wrasse and maybe a tail spot blenny for fish

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i also have a question when should i start adding carbon and should i keep using the sponge that came with the water box

So the reason I mentioned the sponge is that the bacteria can grow on it and if you wash it (in something other than saltwater, you wash them away. Other than taht there is not reason not to use it. You can add carbon whenever. The reason not to have it during a cycle is for the same reason.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the reason I mentioned the sponge is that the bacteria can grow on it and if you wash it (in something other than saltwater, you wash them away. Other than taht there is not reason not to use it. You can add carbon whenever. The reason not to have it during a cycle is for the same reason.
oh ok thanks for the help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back