Cycling rock

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I plan on doing a muriatic acid cure first since I got couple gallons left from a job site let dry outside for about a month and start the cycle or how would you approach if you were to cycle the rock?

Put it in vat first. IMO It’s better to let the rock soak or cook a little first. The destabilizing event will be less drastic.

Add some DT water to your vat with a heater and Powerhead. When you do a water change in the DT use that water to change the vat water. Give it a couple months then add to the tank.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve added small dry macro shelf pieces directly to the tank for frag plugs it will grow more algae if it’s dry vs if I cook it first. I’ve had Dino’s instantly attracted to the dry pieces vs the cooked pieces.

EF4D5D5F-541B-416A-96EB-975B11E3377C.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’d ditch the Marco all together. Grab you some KP “starter rock” and watch the tank burst into life.

It does have a few undesirables, but the benefits outweigh the pests which will most likely get in eventually anyway. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, so yeah…you can cure in a vat. It’s not mandatory, but letting the rock develop a biofilm, soak, cook, etc…seems to increase the chances of the rock getting a better start with less of a destabilizing event in the tank. I’d use the DT water and make sure to have heat and good flow. Keep it in a dark area.

If you want that tank to do extremely well and have a ton of life I’d go for that KP rocks hands down. If I could go back I’d never do Marco again. This is like the 6-8 time I’ve used it and it’s always been a royal pain for the first year. I currently have Marco Rock I cured for over a year and it’s been in for 10 months and it’s still far from being were I need it to grow Acropora like a want to. It’s growing croals, but will not be at the rate I need it at until at least the 2 year mark. I’m hoping at 1.5 years I can start selling frags again. BTW…the reason why I say get KP’s starter rock is because it’s been in the ocean (Florida Keys) for about a year or slightly more, and it’s very full of life (as you saw in that video), but doesn’t have all the macro algae crap on it. The only thing it brought in that I’ve had to deal with is Bryopsis and Bubble algae. No Vermetid and no Aiptasia. I was shocked! So yeah, highly recommend if you can deal with those. I would have done the whole tank with it if I could go back. Had him ship it in water straight to the airport. For sure you will likely avoid Dino’s with it which is truly devastating for any tank. Ask me how I know! Best of luck. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back