Cycling Tank

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fact also factors in the cycling thread here: any poster in this thread can remove their entire sandbed all at once, any canister filters all at once, any sump media all at once down to bare glass and live rocks, and their system will not cycle or mini cycle even with the same fish loading all the original surface area was adapted to

removed all at once, no slow ramp down. The opposite of what the masses advise works very well due to the inherent power of live rock after the cycle

we have been doing this for 36 straight pages in the sand rinse thread, not a guess. The takeaway is that extra surface area beyond live rocks simply doesn’t matter though we’d like it to. Cycle with eight bags of floss in place, or just live rocks, the outcome is the same tank to tank. Turning off uv makes sense. Skimming won’t matter or affect the outcome in a cycling tank. Piscean cannot go wrong in any method chosen, cycles can’t stall or fail they just cycle in about ten days (usually a few days max) regardless of what brand of bottle bac is used.

just so that above doesn’t seem totally insane
I'd like to see this, remove everything and nothing will happen? Highly doubt that.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited in the thread in anticipation/prior page :)

estimates are we've completed rip cleaned (tap rinse the sandbed for an hour) about half a mil in reefs, zero losses. broke some new ground.

*we all use an overabundance of live rock is the trick.

I know there are .5% ultra low surface area systems, hardly any rock and big corals. we might use bottle bac on one of those jobs

but with any other tank's live rock, its all we needed in all those pages no joke. we all deal in way too much extra surface area, it requires cleaning routines the more we add past required amounts.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you would clean and replace filters daily, that's obsurd. They can last at least a month, and you would never change more than 1 at a time...ever.

I didn’t say daily. You misread my post.

Changing floss monthly would be absurd tho!

Every 2-3 days is about right.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t say daily. You misread my post.

Changing floss monthly would be absurd tho!

Every 2-3 days is about right.
2-3 days to change out foam is not right, if the tank is creating that much debris, something else is wrong

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 days to change out foam is not right, if the tank is creating that much debris, something else is wrong

You are missing the point, it’s not about the amount collected it’s about not giving the detritus the time to break down, removing it before it gets the chance. Your recommendation of a month is very excessive imo, your tank do as you please.

Back